American Food

Did anyone already say buttered corn on the cob?

6 Likes

Just what I’ve always craved :nauseated_face: lol. I guess I’ll have to look over their menu …online!

1 Like

Hmm…I guess that is more like. 1.1 :laughing:. It’s American food that locals brought with them elsewhere and introduced as a new food to that region. I agree that there a number of worthy examples (spoken like a true Korean fried chicken addict), but just as we have adapted Chinese, Italian and Mexican foods to our palettes where it’s taken on a separate identity, this is true of many cuisines overseas. I think that topic is worthy of its own discussion - think ramen and the phenomenon is become outside of Japan, yet it’s quite different from the hand pulled soup noodles in China.

3 Likes

I grew up with Krispy Kreme. Dunkin’ was a late arrival interloper from Yankee territory. The glazed when fresh are great. But I love the kreme filled. Remember that’s in the name. That is my all time favorite. Gawd I could go for one now.

1 Like

From my business trips to the US and being entertained to dinner by the local representatives two things remain in my memory of US food — steak served as the only item on the plate (received weird looks from host, staff, and other dinners on asking for vegetables) and overly sugary items. Oh and McDonalds. If I had known this awful “gastronomy” was staple fare I would have asked to go to better places especially those that served unadulterated and non-culture appropriate ethnic cuisine. All of which remnds me of the criticisms of post World War 2 food served here in the UK.

Although I did enjoy a meal in a Moroccan restaurent in downtown Philadephia. Unsure to this day whether it was authentic or not but it certainly made a pleasant change from that staple fare.

what is “unadulterated and non-culture appropriate ethnic cuisine”?

1 Like

Only item on the plate? What, there was no potato? LOL!
Baked potato was the traditional side for steak for a long time. But of late, most people in the States preparing a steak have either a salad’ish dish like deviled potato salad, or mac salad that you can pop out of the fridge plus a grilled vegie, like asparagus (my favorite), but my friends like Anaheim or bell peppers, mushrooms, edamame or okra. Potatoes do show up as well.
One of my all time favorites to side with a steak is Cowboy beans, 4 or 5 types of beans with browned hamburger and a touch of bacon plus spices and a touch of brown sugar, molasses or honey. Beans of some type are a tradition in my parts of Montana, maybe more so than potatoes.
Too bad your work colleagues were steak purists. The steak should be the center of the show but not the only character.
My rendering of my Mom’s Cowboy Beans recipe. The right hand column is the one we use at branding. It feeds 30+ people as a side.

3 Likes

If that poster went to a steakhouse type place, many of them (at least lately) offer the steak for a particular price and then the sides all need to be ordered separately at their own prices.

10 Likes

No heat/pepper element at all in the beans?
Interesting :thinking:

1 Like

You are right, of course.
I had not thought of that. I got charged for both the mashed potatoes and the asparagus at Ruth’s Chris. I think Fleming’s did the same.
If memory serves, Ray’s the Steaks still included a small side of their creamed spinach but they closed years ago.

3 Likes

No. My Mom was not a spicy cook, at all!
It comes out sweet and savory.
This dish was her “feed the masses” dish so it was supposed to appeal to everyone and there are a lot of people in my family that do not like spicier food, not even a little. The funny thing about this dish is that the first time people try it they put a small half serving-spoon amount on their plate on their first run through the dishes we serve buffet style. The second run through they get a full spoonful of the beans to go with what ever is left of the ribs, chicken and deserts.
But as you can imagine, every member of my family prepares it their own way now, but I still go sweet and savory and I do not add heat, only color, like corn, diced carrots or green pepper. It is different every time.
We have this at every branding and at most family reunions. My Mom has since passed so this dish means even more to me now.
Can’t get the video to download, just the cow/calf pair.

7 Likes

Perhaps that’s why! :grin:

3 Likes

At Harris Steak House, SF, everything is a la carte. Last time I checked, some béarnaise sauce was $8 more, creamed spinach $10.

House of Prime Rib doesn’t serve steaks (they now also offer excellent wild fish) but **everything **is included, excellent salad, creamed or steamed spinach, creamed corn, mashed potatoes or big baked potato with everything, Yorkshire pudding, 3 kinds of horseradish, warm sourdough round.

8 Likes

Oops!

Excuse one rogue photo!

3 Likes

Don’t walk away!
I’ll bet you hated that song as a kid.
:wink:

It’s my daughter’s name! We used to sing the Singing Nun’s song to her, Oh Renée Renée Renée

She loved that.

3 Likes

Stupid auto-correct! “non-cultural appropriation”

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I still have a question about “ethnic cuisine.” My question may seem pedantic. Every culture is ethnic. By “ethnic”, what do you mean? I ask because in the US, “ethnic” often means anything other than English. I have an ethnicity which is largely English ancestors who were immigrants to the US, in what is now known as North Carolina, hundreds of years ago. They weren’t from Scotland, Wales, or Ireland. They were from Northwest and Northeast England, some near the border with Scotland.

There are lots of Scots who settled in North Carolina a long time ago. I once asked a fellow North Carolinian if there were any Scottish cultural influences in present day North Carolina. He said, “Well, there’s McDonalds.” Obviously not “ethnic” Scottish.

5 Likes

+1. I like old school cake donuts. Yeast donuts taste like bread with glaze to me. Every time I pass a KK donut shop, I wonder what the big deal is. Krullers are my fave, but they don’t have a donut shape, so, growing up, we called them sweet rolls.

2 Likes

Dabadger, with a name like that, you must be from Wisconsin. Can you still find Long John’s? Like Krispy Kreme on crack. Every local bakery seemed to have them. Plain and glazed or creme filled with chocolate glaze.