American Food

Nobu isn’t really known for sushi. It was all the things that preceded the sushi. Typically the progression of a meal there starts with the various cold raw dishes to hot and then to sushi. The guys was not a fan of sushi. Once you get away from the northeast and west coast, you will find a number of people who will not touch raw fish. Not at all unusual for someone who grew up in the middle of America before 2000. Even where I grew up sushi eating was not the norm.

1 Like

This is starting to sound like that David Brooks’ essay where he feels bad about bewildering a lady who doesn’t understand Italian sandwiches.

2 Likes

Ah, David Brooks and his made up data: https://www.salon.com/2015/06/15/the_facts_vs_david_brooks_startling_inaccuracies_raise_questions_about_his_latest_book/

I think David Brooks is a privileged arse. He and the rest of the NY Times columnists take complicated issues and boil them down into a simplistic analysis buried in the guise of thoughtfulness. Just as bad as the columnists on the other side at the WSJ. I subscribe to both but avoid paying much attention to what opinions any of them have. I’m just there for the recipes and news.

As to being unaware of the cultural norms of food, I’ve written before about the first time I encountered bagels and wondering what these weird donuts were. And don’t get me started on my initial reaction to mushy cheese and semi-raw fish on top of it. I have turned out mostly okay despite my decidedly not northeastern middle class origin.

2 Likes

Further evidence that 68% of facts and statistics are made up on the spot. When corrected for confirmation bias, that figure jumps to 91%. Startling. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

It’s not made up data! It’s alternative statistics.

5 Likes

Count me as a sushi FROWNER! :thinking:

But wait! There’s more!

Aren’t there categories other than “heirloom” and “commercial”? I think of myself as growing open pollinated varieties that are neither.

Speaking of, anyone else seen the new cover model for the SI swimsuit edition? Umm…I guess someone likes her recipes. Gonna give some teen boy a nightmare. Very different to the Paulina swimsuit cover that got everyone’s heart racing when I was in school.

2 Likes

If we are talking about Padma, my first impression was that while the swimsuit portion seemed to work, her face seemed too “wise” for a swimsuit model.

Disclaimer; I don’t know that I have ever looked at another swimsuit model, so there’s that. Or maybe the times, they are changing?

2 Likes

4 Likes

I didn’t even realize SI was still printed (thought they went fully digital a few years back). And for those years I did subscribe, I always opted out of the swimsuit issue. I guess they’re all about the older demographic now?

2 Likes

I’m in a high rise. No crops here. I depend on the kindness of what my friends give me from their gardens. I’m not picky, just hungry. :yum:

3 Likes

Older, wealthy women with ample access to dietitians, personal trainers, botox & plastic surgeons.

You know, like yer regular ole lady :joy::roll_eyes::face_vomiting:

3 Likes

plus photoshop

1 Like

That’s a given. It’s just another example of how to make women feel inadequate about their looks.

I’m over it.

1 Like

offs, she looks like an escape from Madame Tussauds

1 Like

She said she hasn’t had plastic surgery but there’s probably been Botox and photo touch ups.

Oh, there are countless ways to spend one’s money on chasing a delusion.

1 Like

I’m gonna push back against this extremely predictable bashing (not by you) and say that while I’m not thrilled at the level of retouching, both to Stewart’s actual face and body and to the pictures themselves, I think an 81-year-old woman in a bathing suit on the cover of a widely-read magazine issue is pretty cool. Normalizing “normal” women’s bodies would be better, but this is something.

10 Likes