American Food

She just got the standard model fee.

When I think American foods, I think of two scenarios: 1) food developed and commonly available in America in some form (good or bad, adapted to some regional taste or ingredients) or 2) a dish adapted to the American palate with local ingredients and foods and popularized across American society (usually it’s a very specific version of a dish that has become distinct from its origin)

Examples of 1 for me:
Hamburger
Grilled cheese sandwich
Buffalo wings

Examples of #2 for me:
Hot Dog
American Pizza (the classic covered in a type of tomato sauce and cheese)
Spam Musubi

1 Like
3 Likes

I bet he was from Wisconsin or Minnesota. Lots of folks think we’re Canadians. Pretty close, bit nope, still USers.

1 Like
2 Likes

(Swanson’s Hungry Man Meatloaf dinner)

Sorry for the digression on an old thread, but I’m with you on this. When the spokesperson for a national plastics organization says “don’t microwave food in plastic”, that’s pretty much all I need to know.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried Krispy Kreme. Come to think of it, I haven’t had a donut in years. (to fans of donuts, how do they stack up with other chains?)

However, I remember seeing giant souvenir boxes of those donuts throughout East Asia, maybe 10-15 years ago. Those were a real hit in Hong Kong and SE Asia!

How about scenario #3, the influence of U.S. military bases on local palettes?

I have no military experience, but Okinawa seems to have developed a flavor for um, tacos. (Yes, yes, they’re from Mexico, but the Tex-Mex version serves as the ersatz export).

Here’s a link to the possible origins of “taco rice.”

I don’t eat donuts except for made-to-order. So I rarely eat them. But Krispy Kreme locations have a red neon sign they light up when they are actually making the donuts so you know they are super hot and fresh. Awesome.

2 Likes

Krispy Kreme never caught my fancy, not even fresh and war. It’s a glazed donut. Once it cools off, it’s JUST a glazed donut. I have friends who love them. I don’t get it.

I can understand how tacos got popular in Japan; but I don’t get the KK thing.

3 Likes

About 15 years or so ago, Krispy Kreme came to Philadelphia and opened a location in my neighborhood. It was crazy–the first week or so the police had to monitor the long lines (the store was in an outdoor mall parking lot). When the mania died down I went and tried them. They were . . . donuts. Maybe the same or slightly inferior to Dunkin. Strange thing is coworkers would ask me to bring them when we had breakfast meetings (strange because I otherwise would bring goods from a very good local bakery). A few years later, the location closed. I didn’t miss it.

3 Likes

Glazed donuts are never my first choice, so Krispy Kreme elicits a big yawn from me.

They may be known for their glazed donuts, but they have a variety of options. One coworker always requested their lemon cream (which were overly sweet and oddly greasy).

Did anyone already say buttered corn on the cob?

6 Likes

Just what I’ve always craved :nauseated_face: lol. I guess I’ll have to look over their menu …online!

1 Like

Hmm…I guess that is more like. 1.1 :laughing:. It’s American food that locals brought with them elsewhere and introduced as a new food to that region. I agree that there a number of worthy examples (spoken like a true Korean fried chicken addict), but just as we have adapted Chinese, Italian and Mexican foods to our palettes where it’s taken on a separate identity, this is true of many cuisines overseas. I think that topic is worthy of its own discussion - think ramen and the phenomenon is become outside of Japan, yet it’s quite different from the hand pulled soup noodles in China.

3 Likes

I grew up with Krispy Kreme. Dunkin’ was a late arrival interloper from Yankee territory. The glazed when fresh are great. But I love the kreme filled. Remember that’s in the name. That is my all time favorite. Gawd I could go for one now.

1 Like

From my business trips to the US and being entertained to dinner by the local representatives two things remain in my memory of US food — steak served as the only item on the plate (received weird looks from host, staff, and other dinners on asking for vegetables) and overly sugary items. Oh and McDonalds. If I had known this awful “gastronomy” was staple fare I would have asked to go to better places especially those that served unadulterated and non-culture appropriate ethnic cuisine. All of which remnds me of the criticisms of post World War 2 food served here in the UK.

Although I did enjoy a meal in a Moroccan restaurent in downtown Philadephia. Unsure to this day whether it was authentic or not but it certainly made a pleasant change from that staple fare.

what is “unadulterated and non-culture appropriate ethnic cuisine”?

1 Like