American food wish list for future visits

Thats a lot of traveling.

There was a day I’d have said yep, go to Sonic. Not any more. It is a flicker of its former self and if Im going to spend $15 on a mediocre burger it better be on a table.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input.
I live in Canada, and another poster mentioned she would be interested in hearing about my list of foods I want to try.

I haven’t been to Louisiana since 1998, and I didn’t go during Lent. I don’t think I will ever visit Louisiana during Lent.

Ohio is a 2 hour drive from where I live. That’s why it’s likely I will try a fish fry in Ohio. Plus, I like Lake Erie yellow perch a lot more than I like catfish.

Catfish is one of my 3 least favourite finfishes. Catfish, basa and tilapia. Blech. I have enjoyed some blackened redfish, and other fish in the South, I realize it’s not all catfish, but I would think the fish fry probably involves catfish.

I loved my week in Louisiana. I still use my 3 cookbooks from Louisiana, and I also have cookbooks from Georgia.

I am not putting down Louisiana by saying I want to visit Ohio. Ohio is more convenient for me.

5 Likes

It won’t be on a single trip. It’s a list of dishes to check off on multiple trips, eventually!

Realistically, when I visit the States, it tends to be 4 days in NYC / Boston/ DC , 4 day road trip to a wedding in Ohio or PA, a 7 to 10 day road trip, or a 7 day ski trip. I’ve made one Alaskan Panhandle Cruise, 2 cross continent train rides, one 13 day trip to Maui, Kauai and Oahu, and multiple March Break road trips and trips for conferences.

2 Likes

I don’t know how I know this, but I know it. Here, for anyone who wants some more info:

4 Likes

America is a big country (almost as big as your Canada).

I am overwhelmed just thinking about your quest.

I don’t have any specific suggestions, except to say that I wish you a big budget and an even bigger stomach.

3 Likes

Christina had mentioned in another thread ( the Waffle House dedicated thread ) ,that she would like to see my list.

I do seek out specific regional dishes when I visit.

I’m mostly curious about dishes other people want to try when they visit various places.

I’m not really too interested in people telling me not to seek out a Chop suey sandwich in Maine or an Iowa pork tenderloin sandwich.

I visited the States a fair amount in the first 46 years of my life. I think I’ve travelled to or through 46 States, and stayed overnight in at least 38 States. I’ll have to look at a map to figure out which states I need to spend more time visiting. I haven’t stayed overnight in Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Arkansas, or Mississippi. I’ve only spent 2 nights in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

5 Likes

Maryland Blue Crabs with Old Bay Seasoning!!

8 Likes

I love Maryland Crab, especially crabcakes. I order crabcakes in all the states that make good crabcakes.

3 Likes

I have had the chop suey sandwich from the Salem Lowes
And was sorry to hear it was closing.
But one was enough for me. Glad I tried it though and I hope you can find one in your travels.

One and done for me in my travels include blood (black) pudding, frogs legs, alligator and rattle snake.
Probably others but those were easy to remember.

2 Likes

I have lots of one and done dishes, too! More in Europe than in the States!

1 Like
2 Likes

I guess I will have to make my own Salem Chop Suey Sandwich https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/chop-suey-sandwich

1 Like

When you’re in Ohio (born & grew up there) I hope you try Cincinnati Chili if you have not had that already. And I whole-heartedly agree with you about lake perch! It was the only fish I ever knew until I married a guy from Massachusetts and moved here with him.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve tried it! A former Chowhound sent me a t shirt and a sweatshirt that had a picture of a Cincinnati 3 Way on it :joy:
I’ll link Gastro Obscura for other people’s reference.

3 Likes

For a media noche, i strongly suggest you come to Florida. Tampa is the home of the Cuban, but Miami serves up a great medianoche (and a bocadito of coffee!!)

1 Like

I loved my very short stay in Miami. We went for Peruvian dinner and a tapas dinner. I wish we had gone for Cuban food. I did enjoy some cortaditos.
I didn’t get to eat in Tampa. I had a good Greek lunch in Tarpon Springs. Greek priest sitting at the next table.

I hope you went to the venerable Hellas on Dodecanese Blvd. Its a 1980s neon fever dream, but the food is good and thr service is always on point. My BFF and I go every year to celebrate our birthdays, and rhe day is not complete without hauling a box of Greek pastries home!

1 Like

I wrote up the trip report on Chowhound but it’s long-gone! It probably was Hellas.

1 Like

Sorry but WTF would you go to Rhode Island for clam pizza? Maybe RI for clam cakes or chowder. Not pizza. The place to go for clam pizza is Connecticut. Supposedly first created in New Haven. If you happen to make it to the CT shoreline I will tell you which is the best and no it’s not Pepe’s.

Le Grenouille is the last of its kind. Great restaurant serving classic French food. Haven’t been there in ages. Should probably try it again.

3 Likes

Why the fuck I mentioned Rhode Island Clam Pizza.

I wrote the list off the top of my head. I’m not American. My bad.

I forgot the clam pizza was from Connecticut.

I guess it’s the squid that I’m supposed to order in Rhode Island.

4 Likes