Alfajores around Cambridge?

Does anyone have a recommendation for good alfajores around Cambridge? Willing, of course, to travel a bit (by bike - so maybe a 5 mile radius)…

Alternatively, I’d happily take a good tried-and-true recipe for them!

I have enjoyed alfajores from Doris’ Peruvian Pastries , which I bought at a farmer’s market near me. Link above says that Pemberton Farms and Thistle & Shamrock in Cambridge carry them. Would definitely call ahead to make sure they’re available, of course.

Also maybe check out Doris’ Peruvian Pastries on Facebook, because they’re participating in a number of farmer’s markets this summer including Brighton (too far?).

1 Like

I have also seen them at Pemberton in North Cambridge.

There was a recipe in the Jan/Feb 2022 issue of Cooks Illustrated, and their recipes are the ultimate tried and true so you might start there if you can get a copy from a library or behind a paywall. I don’t have a digital subscription, but if you want I can send you a photo of my print issue. It looked like quite a project!

2 Likes

This sounds perfect - we are very close to Thistle & Shamrock, so will give them a call. Thank you!!

1 Like

Ooh, as luck would have it, a good friend works for the Cooks Illustrated/ATK family and is constantly offering access, so this is very fortuitous. Thank you for the heads up!

What an excellent community we have here!

1 Like

There’s a recipe here too:

1 Like

This probably exceeds your distance limit, but my favorites are at Rincon Limeño in Eastie. They are imported from Peru and arrive on Thursday or Friday each week, so they will sometimes run out mid-week. They also have a giant alfajor, but I don’t like it nearly as much as the little ones.

1 Like

Thanks @MC-Slim-JB and @fooddabbler ! Maybe I’ll make it a tasting - homemade vs. bakery. Appreciate all the input!

1 Like

@tomatotomato just popping back in to say that I found Doris’ at Pemberton farms this past weekend and they were great. Thank you again!

1 Like