Aldi Products Yea/Meh/Nay 2023-2024

Behold, Aldi jumping on the trend of eggplant on pizza! I’ve not tried it, since our experiences with Aldi pizza have been more miss than hit, but perhaps someone else has?

1 Like

Nay on the Masquerade Mango white Stilton cheese with mango and ginger. Way way too sweet. Crumbly; I was hoping for reasonably sliceable.

2 Likes

I honestly just can’t with their fruit-in-cheese cheeses. Love mango, love stilton, but thazza big fat no for me.

1 Like

Aldi pizza. Take… ten?

Friends of ours were shopping at Aldi yesterday, and folks were walking out with ginormous pizze (from the premade section near the produce), telling our friends that they MUST grab one.

Now, I’ve heard some decent stuff about some of their pizze, but up until now any we tried were subpar.

Are those fresh ones worth the hype? Or are folks just stoked about a truck wheel sized π for $6.50?

1 Like

Yeah, I should have known better, but I’ve been on a dried sliced mango bender (thanks to my sister introducing me to her favorite from Ocean State Job Lot), so it was a total impulse buy.

Bad, bad BAD impulse! No no no!

1 Like

Dunno about happiness :roll_eyes:, but I’ve been looking forward to this one… well, minus the strawberry gelee and raspberry ganache ones bc :nauseated_face:

965A8698-062E-4A30-9396-BC8848361A93_4_5005_c

The cheese advent calendar should be fun as well :slight_smile

1 Like

Tj’s has tubs of both cranberry and cranberry orange relish. This year went with the cranberry/orange and it is excellent. And just to show how healthy I can eat, they also have a nantucket cranberry pie (great holiday dessert). The bottom (soon to be flipped over) is cranberry relish, I bought an extra of the cranberry/orange relish and plan to “experiment” by taking the cranberry relish (jam) off the cake and replacing it with cranberry orange. I’m surprised that they don’t offer the pie ( it’s more of an almond cake) with cranberry /orange.

I stopped by Aldi for the first time in year - quick visit en route to Costco in the same complex.

The Manhattan Aldi has an image issue, in that it is not in the least bit appealing to shop at. Still, I went in to see what seasonal things they might have as I’ve lucked out on cheese and chocolates there before. Not today, sadly.

But I was excited to find Priano spinach and cheese canneloni, which look just lovely (10 pcs / 19oz to a pack for 5.89) – have never seen fully prepared canneloni before! Also Priano mushroom tortellini 8.8oz for 1.89 (which I’m hoping are shelf-stable, because they weren’t refrigerated – also if I’d known the price, I would have picked up a few more, but there was no sign), and refrigerated portobello mushroom jumbo ravioli for 5.89 (18 oz)

Negative of the day – Boursin single packages at 6.99??? (A 3-pack was 10.50 at Costco and TJs has them for 4.50 or so.)

Not a lot of frozen apps and things, maybe they’re due to restock (TJs also had empty shelves when I stopped by yesterday).

1 Like

Fish from Aldi? Hell yeah. Great wild-caught cod made for a wonderful curry, and I’ve bought their salmon, steelhead, and lightly smoked salmon filets before. Very good quality.

1 Like

I got those too! Haven’t cracked them yet. Report back, please.

We really enjoy the cannelloni for an easy meal…for the price.

They’re getting frozen and transported to the pasta lovers along with the cannelloni, so you’ll probably eat yours first!

The cannelloni looks more delicate than the dry ones I boil and stuff, so I’m hopeful.

1 Like

Port Salut cheese is a seasonal offering and I make sure to stock up every year.

1 Like

So… I may or may not have been ever so slightly intoxicated when I prepped these last night, which means I can’t for certain give them a YAY or a MEH :grimacing:, but they def weren’t a NAY.

I seem to recall them being a little bland & needing MOAR butter.

2 Likes

Surprised to read the frozen crab cakes were a bust for you. No issue with crisping up in the oven incredibly well although yes the interior is softer than other brands elsewhere. I enjoyed two this evening with lemon orzo and came back to HO only to read your review.

So it goes, plenty of favored items from Aldi’s written about here that I was not impressed with. Reviews are truly subjective.

Hope those unused bags found another appreciative kitchen.

1 Like

@ChristinaM here’s a pic of the burrata (in case you hadn’t found it yet),

which reappeared in the dairy section, fairly close to the surprisingly luscious and lovely gravlax

• delicately thin slices with a goodly amount of dill.

Not as good as homemade, of course (also not technically gravlax since it’s cold smoked as well according to the packaging), but it’s a nice change from the smoked salmon I usually get, and would do in a pinch for a festive app with a mix of both :slight_smile:

So, a definitive YAY.

I also picked up this gift set of hot sauces for my Secret Santee, so I’ll have them be the judge once they get to try it, as I don’t think I will get one for myself.

1 Like

YAY for the black pepper cheddar.

2 Likes

That just sounds REALLY good.

1 Like

See if it’s still around. They had a few special cheddars a couple weeks ago, and this was one of them. There was a mature cheddar, and also probz another fruit version - but that’s a hard no at casa lingua :wink:

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)