[Aldford, Cheshire] Grosvenor Arms

Another lunch. Another dining pub from Brunning & Price. We haven’t been to this one for some years but nothing about the building has changed. It’s popular – when we got there most tables were either occupied or had reserved tickets on them. But one of the staff found us somewhere to sit – and had if it been just a tad warmer, the large garden would have suited perfectly.

A still moist pork burger came topped with chipotle pulled pork, jalapenos and mozzarella and was on a decent enough bun. For my taste, they’d overdone the chilli and I couldn’t taste much else. Separately, a crunchy red cabbage slaw and a little dish of a tomato and sweetcorn relish. Chilli aside, this was all pretty good.

A ploughman’s was a much better bet. A generous offering (even if the eater did keep nicking my fries). Appleby’s Cheshire, Barber’s cheddar and a very tangy Shropshire Blue for the cheeses. Plus a slice of pork pie, a small handful of prosciutto, pickled egg, apple, pickled onions, handful of pea shoots and a big chunk of warm baguette. Everything you want from a ploughman’s and more.

Decent enough lunch as you expect at B & P places.

3 Likes