Alcohol reaction - eye swells up. Anyone else?

Sorry about this. No fun.

Do you have any other allergies?

@Saregama, have you seen these? My wife just ordered to ck out.

Thank you - I just ordered some yesterday as well, to try and for stocking stuffers!

There are also some drops that show up when you look for these - getting those too.

Though I have to say, I’m happy not to drink - “allergy” stops people from pressing, even though they really shouldn’t in the first place.

But I hope this is good for when I actually want to have a drink :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I know that, but the article doesn’t explain much, just describes in a heavy drinker, which I have never been. I’m talking about a glass or a couple socially, maybe every few weeks - not someone with a history of alcohol abuse.

From what I’ve read up, the body stops producing an enzyme. More prevalent in women, after age 30.

And the dark side - you can ignore it, take antihistamines (which has been my preemptive solution), or just lump it, but there is cumulative damage to internal organs over long periods of time, and possibly worse.

So I’ve cut back significantly - glass of something only when I really want it, preceded and followed by multiple antihistamines (Zyrtec and Zantac), and supplemented by digestive enzymes sold by probiotic companies.

Still, would be nice to have a bit more explanation and solution - it’s very hard to find when one searches. The closest explanations were likening the enzyme deficiency in people of Asian descent who get flushed from alcohol.

My doctors were clueless - at one point I was sent to a dermatologist who prescribed a prescription topical for the eyelid - which is so not the solution, but hey, what’s a couple of hundred bucks here and there :joy:

1 Like

My wife drinks water alongside the wine and it helps her. The reaction is worse for her in warm/hot weather.

I’ve always been a big hydrator - my mom tells me I’m making up for lost time as a camel in my last life :joy:

An allergy pill and acid reflux pill (which is a different kind of antihistamine - works in the stomach) are mostly effective for me at preventing the reaction. You may want to mention to your wife. (Btw I didn’t come up with this - my doc who was also an allergist put me on this cocktail the one and only time I had hives, and told me it was a good first defense, before Benadryl or steroids as a reactive solution).

I added a digestive enzyme supplement because if it’s an enzyme deficiency, that could only help.

Reaction happens when I haven’t reacted at all for months, and “brave it” like an idiot without the precautions.

Careful with steroids on the eyelids. It can thin skin and eyelids are already pretty thin.

But when they are needed they work great at calming the inflammatory response

Works for me, not that I’d know about this…

Never heard of this, but just ordered one. Thanks @pilgrim.

1 Like

Allergic reaction is an edema of the eyelid - very different than cosmetic puffy eyes caused by sleeplessness, fatigue, hangovers, etc :slight_smile: