Alcohol limoncello

The muslin removes 99% of the zest…the coffee filter just gets the last tiny bits…the limoncello flows through it like water at that point.

2 Likes

Good One! :rofl:

They say it tastes like vodka with lemon.

Chiming in here. I’ve made it a couple of times using a recipe from Lidia Bastianich. Similar except the lemon peel stays in 100% of the alcohol for 30 days and then another 30 after being mixed with the sugar water ((simple syrup). I used Vodka but think I’ll try a Everclear next time. And…… 60 days is a long time to wait.

1 Like

I have so many things going all the time (jugs of red and white wine vinegar, starter, kimchi, etc.) that I just grab a bottle of Pallini.

How long does vinegar take?

I buy vinegar but enjoyed making limoncello (also, it was delicious!)

They are wrong.

1 Like

This is usually ready to drink in less than that!

2 Likes

I’ve made limoncello twice and limecello once. The limecello got a lot of thumbs ups from recipients. Good limoncello is always purchasable!

That limecello pic is before dilution, of course.

3 Likes

A couple of months is usually enough. Just toss some mother in with the wine(s) of your choice. I just used some Bragg vinegar for its mother, maybe an ounce or two after shaking the bottle to ensure there would be mother mixed in. The wnes are usually a mixture of drips and draps from what is left if we don’t feel up to a whole bottle, usually Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Zinfandel for the red and Pinot Gris, Oregon Chardonnay, and an occasional Sauvignon Blanc or Soave for the whites.

I’d more easily grab a bottle of vinegar, but I will try this - I kept the end of a Bragg bottle to save the mother.

Would be interesting to have a thread on homemade wine vinegar if you feel so inclined.

Re limoncello - given your willingness to make other things that are easily bought, I think you’d be happier with homemade limoncello too!

Glorious color, especially on the limoncello!

How did the lime version age? I didn’t like like shrub as much as lemon, and orange shrub was fabulous but orangecello not so much (to my taste anyway).

I’ve made jalapeño vodka that turned out pretty hot. Each fall I harvest some ghost mushrooms to make a tincture with vodka. I am almost out and it’s only July. :pensive:

Of course that color sadly didn’t survive its meetup with simple sugar. It aged very well. I kept small bottles in the freezer for a very long time after aging