Albarino in Shrewsbury

I like Enya/New Age music :grinning:

Happy hour is kind of sort of decent I guess. They have $3. apps (I only know at the bar) however they are obviously reduced size portions. Like the garlic shrimp 2 medium sized shrimp come to an order. No offense but if I’m sharing the app I want more than 1 &1/2 shrimp, just charge me the $9 or regular price and give me 9 dam shrimp! Same with most of the happy hour apps.

@Metsfan86 I don’t know what genre the music was, but it was overbearing for the room with a very heavy beat.

1 Like

Hey!! Turns out I like Post Malone, which once I saw a picture of, I nearly sh*t my pants!!

2 Likes

oh too bad. Their wine pours are right to the etching, too. Sometimes a hair below. I complained once after the pour and she poured a little more. I think she was shocked that I complained :grinning:

2 Likes

There is a happy hour drink menu which I didn’t pay any attention to but I know they discount their sangria because the bartender “pre-ordered” ours for us so we would get it at the discounted price!

2 Likes

For those of you who appreciate good music with your good food, I just saw that three VERY talented local musicians of ours are going to be playing here every Thursday night from 5-8pm: Matt Wade, Brian Gearty, and Santo Rizzolo. TRUST ME. (And hit me up if you want to go!)

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Went last night. Arrived about 5:20 and got seats at the bar. The bar, bar high tops, and dining room quickly filled up. The music was perfect for the atmosphere. Good cosmo, nice wine, delicious $3 tapas, friendly service. What more could one ask for?!

3 Likes

I guess I am a little late to the party when it comes to this restaurant though I really enjoyed my first meal there this past weekend. But for the uncomfortable though attractive chairs, everything from the decor and ambiance, service and food were excellent. We started with the following tapas: the iberico ham, fried calamari, meatballs, flat bread and octopus and then shared the Valencia paella which was excellent (though I would’ve appreciated it being cooked a little more to get a better crust on the bottom). We finished with both the toffee fig cake (which was phenomenal) and the almond cake which put a nice bow on the meal. All in all, it was a great experience and I hope to be back very soon to try more of the menu.

4 Likes

Glad you enjoyed your first experience there, it has become one of my favorite local spots. Which chairs were you referring to the bar stools or table? I find the bar stools to be horrible (similar to Gabriella’s) but the table chairs are “ok”. I’m surprised the paella was under cooked the crispy crunchy bottom is the best! So much so I’ve tried to replicate it at home using my wok, first attempt wasn’t that great but I will try again.

3 Likes

The paella is missing the soccarat (sp)?? How is that possible at a Spanish/tapas restaurant?

I have the best luck getting a good socarrat on paella when I use a cast iron pan.

1 Like

Best I’ve had was from a set up like this, in Spain and in US. Not easy to do at home though.

3 Likes

I’ve got to get a flat bottom cast iron pan. Mind has ridges on the bottom which makes it a bit more difficult to make this or say corn bread in.

A flat bottom cast iron skillet is one of my favorite cooking vessels. There is so much you can do with it. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy. A plain old-fashioned Lodge skillet, especially if it belonged to someone’s grandmother is perfect. Check out Goodwill or garage sales.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m aware now. When I purchased mine it was primarily for steaks (who would have imagined right?). However since owning it I’ve realized the ridges I wanted for grill marks really limits the uses for the pan.

1 Like

Better crust without the grill marks too. Never understood the affinity for them

1 Like

YOU? STEAKS? No way!

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You sound like my Dr when I get weighed; “YOU? OVERWEIGHT? No way!

2 Likes

Yeah I know. I even told the waiter to make sure it cooked a little longer as I was hoping for a nice crispy crust. That lack of a caramelized soccarat was the only minor disappointment of the meal. That said, the flavor of the paella was excellent.

1 Like