Albarino in Shrewsbury

The socarrat!!! YUM.

(Not to be confused with the baccarat.) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

We had Christmas Eve dinner there last night. To be sure, the place is pricy, but no more so than many other local places.

The good news is that we shared a special paella for three. There was more than enough food for the six of us with that and some appys. The cooking bowl it was served in reminds me of the pic that @BossaNova posted. It was chock full of steak and pork belly and other meats and some veggies and the bottom was as good as I’ve had outside Spain. Three cheers for the socarrat-ic method!

I’m really looking forward to having the scant leftovers for lunch today.

2 Likes

I was there the night before I had the mixto platter (3 meats and cheese and honestly very well worth the $18 price) and the boneless rib eye (special). The steak was only 12 oz., I ordered it medium and it was well. Mixed review for me but I should have knowing better than ordering a steak here, let alone a 12oz rib eye.

I gotta try that paella!

1 Like

Good to hear Seal. I haven’t had paella in a while. I might have to give this a shot soon but I think Flames is on my list first…hopefully this week.

Jr, 12Oz ribeye? Come on man lol…you need to go and try to dust off that 60oz at marbelo. I may give it a go just go fun. I won’t finish it but it seems like a good time. Merry Christmas buddy. I think I’m gaining about ten pounds this week :smile:

1 Like

I have to get there and try that paella

1 Like

Sounds like a HO down throw down to me.

2 Likes

Speaking of ribeye specials, they had one last night for $135 for this monster here. We didn’t get it but it was tempting.

1 Like

Was the restaurant fully booked? I’m having trouble getting a read on how popular it is. When I drive through the parking lot, it always looks empty. Should I wait or should I go?

So unfair. Here was that steaks red-headed step child. They cooked the shit out of this, but given it’s size it’s hard not to.

1 Like

We went yesterday for a late lunch. The space is beautiful. They were super accommodating by seating us at a big table for the high chair so we could spread out. The service was great and we hung out for a while. We didn’t feel like we were being rushed at all.

We ordered: shishito peppers (nice to still see on a menu still. Very tasty), empanadas (I don’t know why I even order these anymore. My sister makes the most insane empanadas and I am always disappointed when they aren’t as good as hers), crispy eggplant with rosemary and honey (quite tasty but a little bit too oily for my taste), the pork belly/brussel sprouts/egg combo (we didn’t have the issue with the pork belly being all fat, but the egg was quite borderline on being TOO soft cooked). All in all, a few minor flaws here and there but the food was all delicious and the service was on point. We will be back.

2 Likes

Just returned from my 3rd trip here after a very miserable 2nd solo trip probably a year + ago. Arrived 7:15 on Friday and grabbed the last 2 seats at the bar. While the bat was full the restaurant was 90% full, nothing crazy.

Honestly it was the best experience yet! Service was a little slow with the bar full but the food was great. We had the pork belly, this time nice and meaty with the delicious fat. Perfect combination and it was great with the Brussels sprouts and soft boiled egg.

Paella Valencia was very good. Prepared “well-done” meaning the rice was burnt to the pan, you literally had to scrape it off the pan. A bit off putting for the rice to be burnt but delicious! Shrimp, clams, mussels, chicken and sausage were sufficient but not overwhelming, lobster is an up charge. While this order is for two it is the size of a single order at Fernandez which includes half a lobster.

Honestly a nice meal and one that will lead me to try again sooner than later!

3 Likes

For some reason I have no desire to try this place. Now I might after you gave it a thumbs up.

you’re right on fernandes. I’ve only had it at 2, not 3. I like Costa Verde paella but like the Mariscada even better there.

Just back from a very happy hour or two at Albarino tonight. I’ve got to say what a deal the $3 tapas plates are, including a 4 large grilled shrimp in butter and pepper sauce and a really tasty eggplant thing. There are also $5 flatbread like things and we really liked the chorizo one. Liking this happy hour as a bargain for dinner.

4 Likes

We’ve now been to Albariño twice. In July, we had dinner there. We ordered a variety of tapas --including the Jamon Imberico de Bellota –

Jamon Iberico de Bellota

the Valencia Paella,

Valencia Paella

and dessert (Churros). Everything was very well-prepared, attractively plated, and – most important – delicious.

At that time, there was a lunch menu and a dinner menu, the former being a scaled-down version of the latter with, for example, no paella being served. However, they’ve now switched to an “all-day menu.” So if you happen to want paella at lunch, you can get it.

We went back for lunch yesterday. I’ve had my eye on the lamb chops which are on the tapas menu. We didn’t order them in July, and they were previously only available at dinner. Our server told us that there were two, perhaps three, per order depending on the size. We decided to get two orders and treat them as a main course.

Costilla de Xai

We started with two tapas, repeating the eggplant which we both loved and getting the shrimp for the first time. As “sides” for the lamb, we had the shishito peppers again because Michael loves them and the corn. For dessert, we shared the Classic Galician Almond Cake. From first bite to last, this meal was every bit as delicious as the first.

Excellent service both times. Very attractive space. Moderately busy during our dinner in July. The outdoor tables were full, several unoccupied tables inside (where we sat), and not much action at the bar. I suspect that when the inside dining room is packed, it’s probably very noisy. We anticipated that lunch would not be very buy, which was the case. Now with the all day menu, we’ll definitely be putting lunch at Albariño on our dining rotation. One other huge plus in our view. They are open on Mondays!

Full photo set from our July dinner is on my Flickr here.

Full photo set from yesterday’s lunch is on my Flickr here.

6 Likes

were they playing weird music? One time I went for drinks and the Enya lite/new age music was REALLY off-putting for a night out.
curious if it was a one off or that’s their thing?

I’ve been back (and even did take out one night) here a few times recently and as someone who was a little apprehensive on my initial visit, I’ve really come to enjoy this place. Their paella, while not a truly traditional version, is excellent! They even have a paella with lamb chops, which I recently ordered but they brought out the traditional version. When I pointed out the mistake they just gave me a side order of lamb chops as a side! (score!!!) There eggplant appetizer, just pan grilled eggplant is so simply but so delicious!

If you haven’t been I strongly suggest you give it a try, each time I appreciate it a little more!

4 Likes

random question- but how is the music lately? One time there was for a drink and music choice was like new age torture. Had to leave after the drink w/o sampling the food. If that’s over I def need to check this place out.

Two or so visits ago the wife and I sat at the bar. It was around 7pm because it was right around the cut off of happy hour and I recall being intrigued by the music choice. It was very “club-ish” and at a level that made chatting side by side a bit of an issue.

That was the only time that I noticed any problems with the music.

1 Like

I really like their food. Small portions so adds up quick. I need to try happy hour.

good to know- “clubish” I can deal with- Enya/New Age music that seems inspired by crystals I can’t…lol it was way overbearing that one time…