After more than 70 years, the FDA is dropping its regulation for French dressing

The first ingredient is tomato soup!

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with tri-tip!

1 Like

Personally I find French dressing to be revolting. It’s way too sweet for a salad. Have the same problem with thousand island and Russian. Though truth be told when I was a small child I loved iceberg with thousand island. But even then I was no fan of French. I much prefer a tart dressing with a good vinegar or lemon juice, some good olive oil, salt and pepper. Maybe run a crushed garlic clove around the inside of the bowl if I’m feeling adventurous.

London broil is a great cheap dinner. Doesn’t really need a marinade. Just season heavily with salt and pepper. More than you think it needs. Let it rest for a few hours then grill or sear in a hot pan. Slice no thicker than 1/4” across the grain. Simple but marvelous.

4 Likes

What cut of meat are you referring to? Some references suggest it’s more a way of cooking than a specific one cut of meat, I’m trying to figure out what was labeled that way in New York back in the 70’s.

I found this picture on line. Looked sort of like that.

Or this one which is called “top round”. The fibers seem to be running in a different direction.

Psst, Harters, if you like ranch dressing, do try this fresh tasting at home version. Also great on grilled meats, chicken, a spoon…

1 Like

I don’t think of London broil as a dish. It is a cut of meat. Usually from the round, top or bottom but not eye (which I find tasteless). I like to get a thick cut, at least 2 inches. It can weigh a lot, 3-4 pounds. So I will usually cut it into 1.25 to 1.5 pound pieces as that is usually fine for a family dinner. When I carve the meat into slices, we need to eat far less meat to feel satisfied than when each of us has a steak. I like a thick cut so you can get a real good crusty sear and have the meat be medium rare. The pictures you posted are what I think of as London broil. The grain can change so I find the best way to cut it is at an angle across the grain I see. Has a nice beefy taste. I usually make it as I wrote before with just salt and pepper. Sometimes I will make a bit of teriyaki or ponzu to serve on the side. Some roasted potatoes and a salad and dinner is done very quickly. Sometimes when I am feeling ambitious I will sous vide the pieces and then freeze them. Defrost the night before and drop into a scorching hot cast iron pan to get the crust. Very tender then.

2 Likes

Allegedly, Thousand Island dressing was invented at a hotel in the Thousand Islands area of NY State. A high school classmate now co-owns that hotel.

1 Like

I certainly hope no one is eating haut couture. Hard to chew and you get threads caught in your teeth.

1 Like

I realized that predictive spelling error too late to correct, but on reflection I like the idea of food as fashion. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

High in fiber!

3 Likes

Har har.

1 Like

Was this reaction to French dressing decided after a two martini lunch . I want to work there .

1 Like

I remember "Good Seasons "!

4 Likes

They do (or at least did) make at least one piece of clothing that is edible. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this a result of inflation? In my day it was a three martini lunch.

4 Likes

This is odd to me. In the '60s, my mother would make garlic butter, spread it on a flank steak, coat with salt and pepper, and grill it medium rare. Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices, it was pretty darn good.
It’s also what the Joy of Cooking, 1975 version, basically calls for. I looked in some other old cookbooks and couldn’t find it listed either alphabetically or under Beef, so the JoC is the only one I found in any older cookbooks.

5 Likes

Actually, it was my dad that grilled it, just saying…

2 Likes

Dorothy Lynch love…