Advent Calendars

I get this for DH! And then I get the flavors he deems too weird…

2 Likes

Correction! The Bonne Maman calendars were the ‘Twelve Days of Christmas’, not the Advent calendars. Either way, they’ll work for me and my gift giving.

Most people who crossborder shop do not declare their purchases, then they get dinged when they get caught.:smile:

I declare, and it’s expensive on some goods.

I think, with groceries, the customs at the border is usually okay with not charging duty these days. They do charge duty on booze. Booze costs a lot more in Canada, typically.

Some towns in DE turn their city halls into Adventskalender.
I got to Forchheim right after Christmas so it was already finished.

https://i.imgur.com/tdqC4tH.jpg

It should look like this in action (photo found online):
https://i.imgur.com/u0FtzTO.jpg

Missing real Nürnberger Lebkuchen from various bakeries in Nürnberg and Festbier from all the Bavarian breweries, not to mention duck and goose meals round this time of year. I used to spend the last weeks of the year in DE. Even though I don’t like Christmas but whoa, no country knows how to do Christmas like DE.

2 Likes

There’s nothing quite like German xmas markets, for sure. Although it made me think of this funny a friend posted on the book of faces :joy:

:

3 Likes

LOL!! I think they got the ratios right.

2 Likes

“I’m cold” should be bigger :smiley:

Translation, please?

1 Like

I want punch
I am cold
I look forward to xmas
I hate people

4 Likes

Last year my (new-to-me) job was organizing a business trip that would’ve put me in Berlin for the Xmas market season. I was SO EXCITED, beyond excited actually. They changed their minds about that trip, though, so the destination remains on my bucket list :frowning:

1 Like

Day 3: apricot banana (why?!)

1 Like

That sounds more like a baby food flavor to me…

Berlin is a great city to visit, and its xmas markets are pretty, but it really shines in the late spring/early summer (which is why we’re usually there around that time :smiling_face:).

2 Likes

Danke!

Because it’s French?

Banane does sound so much better than banana.

Day 4: cherry-pink peppercorn. Kinda generic. I like cherry though, so I ate it.

2 Likes

I bought the calendar for my dad, didn’t realize so many flavours would be quirky.

Today’s treat

2 Likes

Day 5: fig cardamom. Best one yet!

6 Likes

Catchup from the last couple days (I’m not going to post a pic of a lonely praline & a plastic-wrapped cheese bite every day :rofl:): peppered gouda, smoky cheddar, spiced apple cheddar that didn’t sound nearly as horrendous as we feared.

Some milk chocolate ganache praline, a brownie ganache praline. No strawberry gelee or raspberry ganache yet, thankfully :nauseated_face:

1 Like