Adding Tuna to Clam Chowder?

no, please no, please no, no no no no n no no no no no

that’s just how my folks feel about it. Just add extra pieces of clam.

2 Likes

I would do surimi and/or tofu.

If you feel like it do it . Absolutely.

I have done it a few times but more commonly I’ll take a clam chowder recipe and simply replace the clams in it with canned tuna…including the water or oil the tuna is packed in. When I’m feeling more energetic, I’ll strain the liquid out and if it’s oil instead of water, I’ll use that oil and milk or cream to make a roux to thicken the chowder.

I’ve made this a few times for friends and had nothing but rave reviews.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing this since I first moved out on my own back in the late 1970s. It’s nice to know I can create something from the pantry rather quickly if I’ve not planned WFD.

Yup, 20 years ago in 2004.

3 Likes

I like the idea of adding white beans to the clam chowder mix vs. canned tuna (fish) or even canned crab.

2 Likes

I too love those huge cans of clams and have found that the clams freeze in their juice beautifully. I usually do a chowder batch (small house-hold, small batch) and then freeze the rest of the can in about 3 more-or-less equal portions. Though your fritters sound lovely…

For the OP, I’ve also been wondering if a Italian style sausage would be good in clam chowder— sort of a soup version of steamed clams with Italian sausage. Maybe in a less creamy/milky version (my chowders are never very New England trad). Gonna have to try it myself.

2 Likes