Aarzu Modern Indian Bistro Freehold

Holler!!

1 Like

Went to Aarzu today (Wednesday). Wasn’t told the thali price has increased to $17.95 pp from the previous $11.95. That is a steep increase and it really should have been mentioned, especially as the host recognized us as past customers. Disappointing.

Still good, but not a value at $45 for two for lunch (tax and tip included).

1 Like

That does stink, I agree if they recognized you they should have said something when you ordered it. Was the price listed anywhere? Did you complain when you learned, just wondering how they handled it.

Welcome to Hungry Onion! Sorry your first post has to be a complaint of this nature! Please have a look around and if you have any questions let us know, always enjoy having new voices joining us at the “table”.

2 Likes

WHOA. First of all, WHOA. Secondly, welcome to Hungry Onion! We love to have new members and to hear about how you found us and do share your favorite spots in NJ!

As for the Thali, that’s a huge increase…appreciate the heads-up, as I was just talking about what a bargain their brunch is. I’ll be sure to ask about the price if I get in there any time soon.

ETA: great minds (see above)

2 Likes

Didn’t see the price listed anywhere, but he gave us dinner menus this time and asked would we be ordering the buffet or a la carte, which he never did before. And we were the only ones there, which was surprising: usually at least a few other couples are dining.

I used to read Chowhounds boards a lot. Not sure how I came across this board, think I was doing a random restaurant reviews search.

Favorite overall restaurant is Drew’s, but I don’t get out of the Monmouth County area that often. Really like Aarzu but not the new lunch price. Probably would only go for dinner now. Used to like Nicholas a lot but last few times everything was not delicious, and for his prices, everything should be. Also like NOB and Freehold location of Longhorn Steakhouse :wink: (get Bob for your waiter).

3 Likes

Ex-Chowhounder!?!?!? Well you should recognize some names here then, we are all ex chowhounds!!! Welcome again!! Drew’s is very popular here, as it should be, I agree with Nicholas he has changed his focus to becoming the ice cream lord of Monmouth County. NOB is another favorite on these boards.

Here is a bit of a welcome thread for newbies, please feel free to go introduce yourself to the broader board.

4 Likes

My husband went here for lunch while doing jury duty and was griping about how expensive it was, too. We only went a few times but absolutely not a bargain for lunch.

And welcome to the group!

3 Likes

Shloka closed ?! Did not know that. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Welcome aboard Angela. A lot of people are ex chowhound folks as jr mentioned. This is a lot more relaxing and you don’t have to worry about moderators and censoring…good vibes here.

This is a dumb question but what is NOB?

1 Like

North of the Border in Red Bank (I assume)!

Isn’t that NOTB? The mystery will soon be revealed lol! :slight_smile: I hope nob is some new spot I haven’t tried.

I will vote a +1 for notb …good food.

1 Like

Yes, I meant North of the Border. But they always answer the phone ‘Frontera’. What’s with that?

1 Like

Frontera is border in Spanish

2 Likes

Had a great lunch today, but left my phone home so no pics.

They still have the Thali lunch, both vegetarian and meat and that’s what my friend had. There were two very different chicken curries as well as dal, saag paneer, chickpea curry, rice, naan, and dessert. For less than $20, this all you can eat lunch is a real bargain.

I, of course, had to have the lamb chops. I also had the eggplant chaat and the chili cheese naan. I am so stuffed I can’t even move. I can barely type, but I’m happy.

3 Likes

Aarzu was named the NJ Monthly’s reader’s choice for best Indian restaurant in Central Jersey
Indian
N: Brick Lane , Montclair
C: Aarzu , Freehold
S: Aamantran , Toms River
★ Mehndi, Morristown
★ Amma’s South Indian Cuisine, Voorhees

David, did you happen to ask them about the loss of brunch? I’m REALLY bummed about that. (Also, I’m HATING you right now. I :heart: those lamb chops!!)

1 Like

I did talk with Sage for a while and I did ask about the brunch. He said that a good amount of folks were asking to select from the regular menu during brunch. He said that there was a lot of food wasted and they weren’t able to do both.

1 Like

New post from Aarzu on IG:

“Starting 2020, Aarzu is enhancing your dining experience further! We are cutting back our lunch operation for the Aarzu team to focus on having more creative time to innovate, as well as enriching their quality of life. Aarzu will be only serving our lunch on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays.”

1 Like

Perhaps I was born a cynic but their statement has the usual weasel words. Sounds to me like they had no lunch traffic except the weekend and insufficient character to admit it.

6 Likes

@The_Happy_Wizard

Bingo

“More time to innovate” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes