A Red & Green Christmas…

@Harters — thanks for the info from your friend. And I hope you and Mrs. H make it back to Tenerife, if not this year, then soon.

4 Likes

I stopped doing turkey at Christmas years ago when I was cooking the holiday meals for me and Mom. We had just had turkey for Thanksgiving so I asked her if she’d like beef tenderloin. She was VERY agreeable! So I’ve been making this recipe for cognac sauce ever since to go with a small beef tenderloin (one year, I just went with filet mignon). Sides are always interchangeable. Whatever strikes my fancy.

After Mom passed just before Thanksgiving 2019, I now do that holiday with my sister, BIL, and his family, but for Christmas I’m on my own, which I’m fine with…Sis and BIL go up to Maine to ski, and I’m not driving 3 hours to sit in their house while they ski! Plus, they no longer eat beef…So I continue my now tradition of enjoying what Mom and I always did.

14 Likes

I did tenderloin for the last two Christmas dinners I hosted. Now that I’m a guest, I think ham is the usual.

2 Likes

Red: Standing beef rib roast, Hungarian goat pepper glaze, and one of the last bottles of my 2009 Cabernet
Green: Morton’s creamed spinach, a Romaine salad with hazelnuts and gorgonzola dressing, and Chartreuse.

4 Likes

Red: O-Toro and Sake Toro. Maybe even some Kanpachi.

Green: Matcha tea and ice cream. Always ice cream!

1 Like

Beautiful tradition, LindaWhit! And I think your mom is probably very happily there with you in spirit!

5 Likes

My husband’s parents were French Canadian and we continue their tradition of making Tourtière for Christmas. It’s a ground pork and potato pie with warm spices in a double crust.

2 Likes

Never had it with Potatoes but the former In-laws in New Hampshire made an all Pork Tourtière/Pie around Christmas every Year.
Super delicious for such a simple Dish

2 Likes

We haven’t decided on Christmas dinner. I love the idea of a red/green Mexican fiesta, but I think my ham-centric DH would object, and ham doesn’t seem to be an appealing enchilada filling. Usually the ham goes with some sort of cheesy potatoes and plain green vegetable. It’s just the three of us, and I’ll do our Hanukkah brisket and latkes on the 10th.

Christmas Eve, though… we have an annual tradition of inviting friends over for Friendsmas Eve, which involves ordering Chinese takeout and eating way too many cookies. Christmas Chex mix is also on the menu!

5 Likes

Thanks for the idea! Easy for the family guests to bring their contributions! I’ll go for the firehouse chile verde!

3 Likes

Our Christmas Eve dinner was always chill, for reasons I can’t remember.
I think because that’s about as far away from Christmas day’s as we could get.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Several years I’ve made chiles en nogada at Christmas - festive , colorful, delicious and served at room temperature! The stuffed chiles are green, topped with a white-ish nut sauce and pomegranate arils.

6 Likes

This dish has always fascinated me. Do you really need to get all the skin off the walnuts? If so, what’s the best way to do that?

1 Like