A Rant about a Butcher Rip Off

So I went to my local gourmet/meat store today and decided to splurge on a rack of lamb for DH - I know nice wife, right? Anyway, the butcher weighed the meat (priced out at $53) then took it back behind the counter and started to “trim” it. When he was done it was half the size, and I was feeling feisty so I said - “maybe now would be a better time to weigh it.” They had also taken off most of the fat and I do like a bit of fat left on my meat. Nope, that’s how they do it, weigh then trim. I was really annoyed, especially since I wanted some fat left on. The upshot was that the particular butcher that trimmed the meat kind of agreed with me and only charged me $49. But, is this a common practice for butchers?

sounds about right. I would have just said, I’ll trim it myself at home.

1 Like

Weigh then trim is how my local butcher shop sells rack of lamb

Next time. I wasn’t thinking!

1 Like

My grandfather’s customers would have beaten him to death with their pocketbooks if he had tried that on them. This is pretty much standard operating procedure these days … On occasion I buy Stew Leonard’s naked beef, not every time but on occasion will ask to have it weighed after trimming . Sometimes they will do it. I do not like my lamb excessively trimmed and prefer to do it myself . Frenched, a rack of lamb is a travesty IMO

2 Likes

Certainly what I’d expect in the UK.

Same with fishmongers. The fish is weighed and then boned, skinned, etc.

I agree. I love the meat that is on the bone on a rack. He left none.

1 Like

So it’s as big a rip of in the U.K.!

I would not have taken it !

I’ve experienced this before too, so don’t think it is some nefarious plot.

Often for things like a tenderloin they will list a pre-trimmed and a trimmed price.

1 Like

I would have walked away. At Fairway they trim my rib steaks first, then weigh them. I actually ask for a bit of the fat to be left on.

As for lamb ribs, everywhere I have gotten them I have always paid for them after trimming, never before.

I always ask for fat to,be left on and they know that there. That is why I was so annoyed. I would have left it but for the butcher who cut the price down.

Absolutely standard procedure. If those who responded to the contrary are not mistaken in thinking they are being charged for trimmed weight, they are probably shopping where prices are quite inflated to begin with. No place where the profit margins are slim would eat the difference between before and after trimming.

3 Likes

_yeah, sucks either way. :cry:

_

1 Like

Sorry but it is the way it is done all over the world {only 54 years professional experience here } most of the time the back fat on a rack of lamb test like goat , beside it allow you to cook the rack for only 15 / 20 Minutes , by the way your butcher also paid for the fat …

1 Like

That is your opinion. I like the fat that is mixed with the meat on the part they French. It tastes great to me. I don’t care that it might cook faster without the fat. To me, it’s worth the wait. Next time I will remember to not let them trim it. If that’s the way it’s always done, fine. I was more upset that I forgot to tell them not to trim it so much.

2 Likes

Weigh then trim is what I’m accustomed to as well, although I never allow them to trim anything I buy. I’m paying for that fat, I will find a way to use it! Especially rack of lamb - I LOVE the fat on the bones!

3 Likes

So true . When I Q them my favorite part is that piece of fat and membrane on the bottom of the bone next to the meat .

2 Likes

Absolutely. It’s your money and your meat so speak your mind. You like it how you like it and that’s that.

2 Likes

Me too!!!

1 Like