A Quest to Find an Endangered Sandwich

This is interesting to me as a braunschweiger lover.
I think the most responded to
thread I authored on CH was “What’s the difference between liverwurst and braunschweiger?”
I’m not in braunschweiger territory these days so a rare bird indeed.

5 Likes

yes, there are people who like a liverwurst sandwich, and the rest of the world that gags at the thought . . .

the difference between “liverwurst” and “Braunschweiger” is hotly debated by people who have not lived there. I decline to enter that debate.
the difference is imho a bit subtle, but it exists. Oscar Mayer used to sell a liverwurst “spread” - which was “none of the above” - but I haven’t seen it in years.

DW won’t touch the stuff. fortunately one vendor sells liverwurst pre-sliced in an 8 ounce package - so I can indulge meself&myonion without creating a stir…

2 Likes

The difference is :bacon: bacon!
:slight_smile:

I saw a package of Farmer John braunschweiger at the supermarket yesterday and almost bought some for old times’ sake. But knowing that almost surely my sister (whom I was shopping with) would react with a gagging sound if she saw it in the cart, I chose not to buy any. I now somewhat regret not buying some.

BTW, I used to eat braunschweiger or liverwurst on saltines, not only sandwiches. Too salty, but so yummy.

2 Likes

. . . . as a teenager . . . hiking the Appalachian Trail . . . at one point we roamed down to “civilization” where I spend a happy hour munching on raw onion and liverwurst on Rye-Krisp . . .
you had to be there . . . after weeks of dehydrated (everything), it was a feast.

3 Likes

“Hunger is the best sauce.” - Cervantes

I don’t disagree, but I can’t imagine being that hungry WRT liverwurst or braunschweiger!

I grew up on liverwurst, which in Germany is almost always predominantly pork-based, but you can also get calf’s liverwurst and goose liverwurst.

Braunschweiger is a pathetic substitute for any of them.

I prefer to thickly spread it on blackbread or sunflower seed bread, which is just as dense, then top it with sliced cucumber.

1 Like

I like either of them on heavy, dense pumpernickel as well. Unfortunately such pumpernickel is as increasingly hard to find as liverwurst & braunschweiger.

3 Likes

Yeah, there was a whole discussion about someone looking for American-style “pumpernickel,” which appears to be color-treated, soft rye sandwich bread. Not my cuppa, but I grew up with the real thing :wink:

2 Likes

I grew up eating rye and pumpernickel from Finkelmeyer’s Bakery in KCK. Never realized finding the real thing was so difficult.

1 Like

I loved liverwurst sandwiches as a kid. One day my dog appeared with a whole unwrapped one that she had stolen from a neighbor’s picnic table. (I didn’t eat it. I think I took it back.)

4 Likes

so did i! mother goose liverwurst on rye with mustard. now, i’ve got a craving.

4 Likes

I live near a German bakery/deli, Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe in Arlington, VA and occasionally get a liverwurst sandwich. As far as I’m considered, there is everything to like about it… except for the name. I believe if they changed the name, it would be more popular.

Maybe mild, white nduja :wink:

Growing up, liverwurst sandwiches were thinly sliced ‘wurst’ on sliced Colombo sourdough bread with mayo. Colombo is no longer and once in a longwhile I’ll buy a little roll on Morell brand braunschweiger (the only I can find here) anr make a sandwich. It isn’t the same, tho.
My father’s father was the child of German immigrants from Schwerin, Mecklenburg who settled in Wisconsin prior to the 1880’s. There was a heavy influence of their favorite foods while growing up. Dad was big on weiners, ‘wurst’ and schnitzl.

1 Like

Lake shastina mini market . Has the best sausage and liverwurst . Made by generations of family from Bavaria handed down .

5 Likes

Lucky you, we’re in a freakin’ food desert here.