A posh Greggs - for one month only

Just brilliant. Almost makes me want to jump in the car and drive to Newcastle

5 Likes

This sounds brilliant.

This time of year I always look forward to a Greggs Festive Bake. Used the lure of a trip to Greggs to convince my teenage kid to accompany me on a trip to the high street to run errands. Festive Bake for me, Steak Bake for him. However, when we found a bench to sit down on and eat the bakes, we found they weren’t hot at all. Barely room temperature. This adversely affected our enjoyment of said bakes considerably. I thought the weather was so cold their warming cabinets not working properly. He thought the branch was rubbish and said when he buys from a different branch the bakes are always hot. Hey ho. It was only £3.90 spent in all and several hundred calories gained.

6 Likes

Speaking of ÂŁ3.90, I think that was the price we paid for a bacon butty and a coffee at Greggs at a services on the A1 in Northumberland earlier in the year. 'Tis easy to diss them but this was decent quality and an obvious bargain.

5 Likes

How a Super Affordable Bakery Chain Became a British Culinary Icon https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/30/world/europe/uk-greggs-fenwick.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Kk0.vxaH.Fw3uk5vBoysD&smid=nytcore-android-share

2 Likes

I have a confession to make. And, yes, I know it may destroy any street cred on this forum

But, even though I am Northern, so food in pastry should be hard-wired into my DNA, I have never had a Greggs Steak Bake.

…slinks away in shame…

4 Likes

Shock! Horror!

2 Likes

If you ever decide to have a Steak Bake, please do report back! After reading about Greggs I am now curious. Obviously we do not have them in the US.

1 Like

My late father in law had a deep love for the Steak Bake. His idea of a balanced diet was to hold one in each hand.

5 Likes

Steak Bakes can be enjoyed if approached with an understanding of what they are - salt and fat bombs which are best when piping hot. Anything less than piping hot makes the thing borderline inedible. The best experience is of small chunks of beef with a coating of savoury brown gravy encased in a crisp flaky pastry shell, with just the right proportion of filling to pastry. The thing is just the right size to fit in the average hand - not so big it gets cold before you finish but not so small that you’re left disappointed.

Iceland supermarkets in the UK sell them frozen in boxes of 4 Steak Bakes. Personally, I find this is the best way to enjoy them - heat them yourself in the oven to ensure ideal temperature. But that doesn’t give you the experience of eating them ‘on the go’ from the paper bag.

4 Likes

Oh my. A Steak Bake expert.

Can we marry, medgirl, and spend the rest of our lives noshing them together. I’m sure the current Mrs Harters will understand that, after 50+ years together, I’ve finally found a true soulmate.

6 Likes

I regret not trying Greggs when I visited Newcastle in 2016.

:joy: .

1 Like

1 Like

Folk from the town of Wigan, in my metro area of Greater Manchester, have a reputation for a love of meat pies.

Hence the Wigan pie sandwich - a meat pie stuffed in to a barn cake (a local name in parts of the metro area, including mine, for a bread roll)

And the answer to the question of “what is a Wigan kebab”, is three pies on a stick.

4 Likes

The Jamaican patty inside a coco bun might be the Caribbean/ Canadian equivalent!

1 Like