A lovely ode to the Deluxe Town Diner, Watertown MA

This is a lovely read, and makes me want to support the Deluxe Town Diner.

11 Likes

I’m not surprised…

A former co worker and dear friend lives
within walking distance of this diner.
The two of us and her guide dog had breakfast there
together for the first time shortly after she moved to the area.

The only concern from staff was the safety and comfort of the
dog…They didn’t make a big deal of it …it was
a very matter of fact exchange upon being greeted.
It’s surprising how infrequently this happens…

It is a very busy place, Sunday mornings they are jammed.
My friend decided that future visits to the diner
would not include her dog, because space is limited and
it is so busy…no big deal… more for the sake of the comfort of the dog.

The food is very good…, Infinitely better than any diner food
in Westchester County, NY and surrounds were I live. Why
on earth do we not have diner food like that here?

Ps IMO the diner walks a fine line between offering entertainment
and sensory overload… Won’t work for all kids on the spectrum but
I can definetly see how it would work really well for some.

3 Likes

This was a great read. Thanks, Bear, and thank you to the Deluxe for making all members of our community welcome.

4 Likes

thank you so much for sharing. xo

2 Likes

Was glad to be reminded of this lovely story when I went to write up the food here.

A colleague of mine has recently been obsessed with the turkey club at Deluxe Town Diner so several times in the last couple of months we have schlepped over here for lunch. It is a schelp (we work on the Lexington-Bedford border) but he has no trouble talking us into it because the food is so good. I tried the turkey club and it was indeed very good (and so are their fries and coleslaw) but my go-to is the cup of soup/half sandwich combo. Their house-made chicken noodle soup is excellent and full of large chunks of tender chicken. You get a 10 oz mug of it plus a very large half sandwich – their tuna is really good! – plus a pickle spear and a package of oyster crackers. All this for $7.95.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m “fork-and-kniving” an 8-year old post. Because (1) we’re dropping off Spring Onion’s friend today after a play date who lives near Deluxe and we’re thinking about an early dinner there and checking out recommendations; (2) this is lovely article that I somehow missed the first time it appeared; and (3) I miss @bear and hope she’s well.

7 Likes

I didn’t make a new post for continuity sake. We ended up at Brewers Tap and Table after dropping off our little friend. It was a bigger, more slick place than we expected but we had a nice time. Earnest live music added to the experience (but I always feel bad for musicians in restaurants because few people pay attention). Got seated in a big comfy booth, they bring you a taste of a beer and a small bag of popcorn as an amuse bouche which is fun. spicy tangy shishito peppers to start, I wasn’t hungry yet so just an app of tuna tartare bao for me, big ol burger for B, hot dog for Spring Onion. It’s fun being out on a Sunday night (spring break for SO, and Patriots Day tomorrow). Nice beers on tap. B got a Lawson’s and something else. I was too busy enjoying the music and my RI Greenvale wine.

IMG_6165

IMG_6166

IMG_6167

IMG_6168

9 Likes

since digga revived this thread, let me ask. meeting a friend in watertown late morning this saturday. anyone know how crazy busy they get. iare saturdays as bad as sundays?

Even on weekends, off-times (3 p.m. say) are manageable. At least, that was the case on our last mid-afternoon visit last summer,.

thanks.