A link to the Guardian's food pages, on its 200th anniversary

Originally called the Manchester Guardian, my regular newspaper was first printed to report on what became known as the Peterloo Massacre, in 1821. Cavalry attacked an unarmed and peaceful crowd attending a meeting calling for greater voting rights. Eighteen were killed and several hundred injured, out of the estimated 60,00 in attendance.

Since that first day, it has always taken a progressive view what now we would call left of centre. In the 1860s, it supported the blockade of the Southern ports of the Confederacy, even though Manchester’s wealth and influence depended on cotton. The city centre has long had a statue of Abraham Lincoln.

In July 1914, in an anti-war piece, the editor declared “We care as little for Belgrade as Belgrade cares for Manchester”. But once war was declared it became supportive of the need to honour our country’s obligations to Belgium. Before and after the War, the Guardian supported women’s suffrage - the main movement for it having been formed in the city.

So, a long, long history of progressive social and political reporting. And some damn fine recipes.

8 Likes

I read it online everyday. It was never on my radar until their reporting on Edward Snowden. I do enjoy reading “Comments” after their articles. A lot of wit goes on there.

4 Likes

I’m also a fan of your local paper, @Harters. The Guardian’s food section, particularly, is a gem for me.

In the US so many of the once venerable metropolitan newspapers haven’t made the transition to digital very well, if they have survived at all.

3 Likes

I had meant to include a note in my original post that the paper, which dropped the “Manchester” from its name in 1959 becoming a national newspaper in name as well as in reality, still reports and comments on social issues from a progressive standpoint. As this article from today’s edition (which does mention food so is on-topic for us)

4 Likes

For several years now, I’ve made a monthly donation for my online Guardian access. Better reporting and writing than most American newspapers. I can’t say I’ve paid attention to the recipes but will start to check on that section. But since I already donate, I do wish I didn’t get a popup asking for money every time I open an article.

2 Likes

Their food section is pretty good, especially if you like Yotam Ottolenghi.

2 Likes