A funeral for fish & chips - by Tom Lamont

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jul/20/a-funeral-for-fish-and-chips-east-neuk-fife-anstruther-scotland#:~:text=When%20a%20shop%20called%20Kong’s,then%20a%20two-hour%20wait.

6 Likes

That’s an amazingly well written story - albeit sad to lose what is, to many, a culture of the chippy shops. Hopefully some of them remain strong.

5 Likes

Maybe it’s because I have been watching years and years of The Great British Menu", and reading every "Hamish Macbeth " story, but I had to read the whole thing! The Hamish stories frequently refer to the fishing industry.

This; "if you’d kept coming, even just once a fortnight, it might have been different.”

Every time a store closes in my wee town I feel a little guilty, but clearly there is more to the story.

4 Likes

I’ve also read all of the Hamish books and really like them. I recently watched the tv version. They got everything wrong including no wild cat and had the totally wrong kind of dog!

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! I was just about to spring for an Acorn subscription!

1 Like

Gosh, that’s from ages ago. Must be 20 years or thereabouts since it was on in the UK.

(post deleted by author)

Acorn was having a free trial in the US so I tried it. I just get so annoyed when tv/movie people buy the rights to a book series with interesting characters and change everything completely!

4 Likes

Or when they cast an actor who just isnt “right” for the character.

2 Likes

I’m going with the image of Hamish’s red hair and the dog and the ex-gf-news anchors “odd colored eyes” I have imagined,

1 Like