A first step back to normality

Sis stopped by for a brief visit today. She was the one who transported mom to the hospital to visit and so saw the initial eye swelled shut and also the one who transported me home after discharge and saw the bloody eye and traveling bruising. She was genuinely surprised at how good it looked today (and so soon!) I guess appearance and the speed of recovery are in the eye of the beholder :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: As the old chestnut states: minor surgery is surgery to you, major surgery is surgery to me.

7 Likes

I had my knee scoped which many consider minor surgery. I had a great sports surgeon but the knee was never the same. Fifteen years later it was replaced and is fine now.

The same surgeon did my knee and a hip replacement.

3 Likes

So glad to hear you are doing well after that accident :+1:. A broken orbit is a big deal.
The brain is not too far away and with the optic nerve passing through the orbit yea it is a big deal.

2 Likes

Good. Still thinking of you with every twinge. Not just ribs. My bad knee. My back. Even an itch on the back of my head. Growing old(er) is not for the faint of heart. All we can do is pull for each other.

Some smart phones have barometers and there are free apps. You can correlate pain with pressure. My knee hurts when the barometric pressure drops. My ribs hurt when it goes up. I’m a walking barometer.

3 Likes

I was lucky. The ophthalmologist they sent in was very gentle, but demanding that I help open the lid so he could inspect it. He explained to me that God made the bones around the eye strong and the eye itself recessed to protect the vision (I’m an agnostic, but I bought in anyway :thinking:

The eye is still a little bloody, the face is still a little bruised, but vision is good and I’d return to Dr. Cohen any time.

Amusing (or not so) aside. My dad lost the hearing in his left ear in the 1920s thanks to lockjaw. He lost the sight in his right eye in the 1980s thanks to a detached retina. Mom’s secret to a happy marriage? Stay with a man who is deaf in his left ear and blind in his right eye. He won’t hear your criticism or see your faults.

9 Likes

I’ll again quote dad . . . “What’s the alternative?”

3 Likes

Before I recently retired the young pups at work wanted to know how old I was. I wouldn’t tell them but I said you’ll be lucky to live to my age. I was greeted with blank stares as mortality had not set in with them.

They changed tactics on the age and wanted to know when I was born. The answer was 1812. None of them knew there was a war then.

2 Likes

It’s one of those places where chefs bring the food to you. From time to time, it’s Adam and he’s usually open for a bit of chat. I think he’s a nice, friendly Manc - certainly not up himself in real life. He must wonder what on earth he can do more to get Michelin recognition.

1 Like

NONE of the patrons appear to be masked. They should wear them whenever they are not actively eating or drinking. Yes, even outdoors, when thete are so many people in proximity. Laxity like this is why we are in the fourth of what may be an endless string of surges.

1 Like

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t-s&ei=UTF-8&p=kinks+better+things+song#id=5&vid=e10dde8838bd87d171812c161b21bb3b&action=click

1 Like

There’s no requirement for folk in England (and probably othe parts of the UK) to be masked whilst seated. Nor have we had any “public health” encouragements to do so. By the by, in the Canal Street photo, the customers at the three tables nearest the camera appear to have glasses on the tables and I can see two people drinking/eating.

2 Likes

People should not need to be told everything they should do. What is allowed is not necessarily smart. The behaviors you describe (as have others here, pictures in the media, etc. etc. etc.) are why it will be some time before we dine out, or indeed–just based on behaviors we see among people in our town–take-out. Curbside it is.

COVID numbers are trending up again and politicians, who make such decisions, are reluctant to impose lockdowns (or as they say in California “lockdowns - ha!”) again. It is my strongly held opinion that if people would behave better we would have punched through the other side of this pandemic by now.

3 Likes

Not here, Dave. Numbers are dropping like a stone, week on week. In spite of what folk may think of our country’s lax attitude to mask wearing. Whatever it is we are doing, it appears to be working at present.

But I generally agree with you. If folk had closely followed the restrictions in the jurisdiction where they lived, we would all be in a better place.

1 Like

I’m happy for you. Truly. I missed that, and the US metrics I watch are heading in the opposite direction.

Eating out is risky and people who engage in one risky activity may well be engaging in others. That makes bars and restaurants unfortunate places to choose to be. Contact tracing in the US (which can be spotty) is pretty clear: going to bars and restaurants, churches, family gatherings, and youth sports are all bad for you.

1 Like

We have a movie chain in Houston that has reopened but masks are required unless eating or drinking. Who doesn’t eat popcorn or drink a coke at the movies?

2 Likes

I know I am asking for trouble, but WHAT numbers, and who reports them? Not for HO, but I find the numbers really hard to interpret on what I call a “Journal Club” level.

For the record, we were finally planning a trip to the UK, cancelled at significant loss last year, and husband and I are at odds about how it will feel if we tried to go this year. For us, it has little if anything to do with our own health risk.

1 Like

It’s a nightmare in Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan right now.

People with severe Covid in Toronto and other cities in southern Ontario will be put in ICU if the Dr making the decision thinks they have a 70% change of survival. We have never had so many people in ICU, and people from TO are being transferred to ICUs 200 km away by air ambulance.

Our current lockdown lasts until May 20.

Oh, how horrible that this is happening. I am so sorry to hear it.

No trouble - figures are reported by Public Health England, on information received from NHS Test & Trace.

FWIW, my borough’s latest figures, as at today, show an infection rate of 26.6 per 100k population. That’s down 37% week on week and is the lowest rate of the ten boroughs in the metro area. Still slightly higher than the overall England rate of 25.5.

That’s just awful. We’ve had difficult numbers around Christmas but hospitals didnt generally get overwhelmed in the way you describe… There were stories of very small numbers of people having to be hospitalised away from their home area.

1 Like