A drive down memory lane, our favorite car related food memories..................

Amazing how the world works…ask me where my diploma is, I could probably never find it. Ask me for a Polaroid of my first car from 32 years go and I looked in one spot and there it is!! Unfortunately the glare washes out the screaming eagle but here she is none the less.

5 Likes

Were you rockin’ a mullet in them days? :wink: bet you wuz a bad’ ass in that bad red sled.

Since we’re burning rubber down memory lane. My second car ever, when I was a lead footed lad of nineteen.

Picture courtesy of the guy I sold it to 30 yrs ago. He just laughs whenever I ask him to consider reuniting me with MY car. He’d want more than 30x what he paid me. His price for babysitting my baby for three decades.

5 Likes

I had a red-with-black-stripes 1969 Z/28. Bought new from Reedman Chevy. Loved that car; everyone else hated it. Didn’t even have a radio. Good times.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! I love that car!

1 Like

You are THE MAN!!! Solid lifter 302, M22 and 12 bolt posi. Some now legal combustibles. Heaven on Earth.

1 Like

Yep - that was her. The only mod I made was to replace the stock distributor/coil with a Mallory dual-point so that little engine would happily hit its 7200 RPM red-line with joy. I had a (numerically) low rear-end so your first shift was 62-64 MPH at 7200 RPM. What a joyous sound. (those bias-ply tires made everything just a bit scary.)

2 Likes

Could we make this across the World rather than New Jersey, deferring to the fact that NJ is indeed the center of the universe. But cars and food are a rite of passage ‘round the World, I’d hope, or at least imagine.
:smiley:

4 Likes

Good point, yes I will move the thread to a general board! Thanks!

My favorite driver, hands down. '86 BMW CSI. Here on a weekend road trip. Parked on the Santa Cruz Pier to catch supper.

Over the span of 10 years, she and I collaborated on numerous “unplanned” 3 hour runs from San Francisco to Reno, just for lunch. That car carved up the Sierra Mountain roads like it was on rails.

3 Likes

That is/was an awesome ride. Loved that car! They replaced it with the highly unreliable 8 series and I guess now the equivalent would be the 6 series. Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

I once owned a 1972 Bavaria. Bought it used. When it all worked it was a magnificent car. Some things never worked really correctly - the power windows liked to get stuck DOWN; the automatic choke never worked in the winter; the electric cooling fan liked to work or not work at random. But it DROVE beautifully. Not as quirky as the Alfa it replaced but damned close.

2 Likes

No pictures, lost at my mom’s house in a flood…A “school teacher’s” 1968 blue Corvette convertible, with a 327 4 barrel 300 hp small block with a 4 speed, a/c and a radio. 68’s had no headrests, and no hardtop. The interior was white vinyl.

I bought it in 1971 with about 20,000 miles on it, because the owner just bought a new one with a 454 and wanted to dump the car… I do miss that car but not the heat it generated inside… but going to White Castle with my girl and the top down on a warm summer evening was the best!..
I sold it 4 years later when I graduated college and bought a new BMW 2002Tii…

1 Like

Always wanted a '69 Z, still do. My wife would KILL me if I spent the bucks a cherry numbers matching Z goes for these days though. I did have a 70 1/2, which at the time did not sport the cache of the 1st generation. Now, all I have of her is her front plate. :cry:

I grew up mere miles from Haight Ashbury in the 70’s. You may guess the state of my mind when I dreamed up the inspiration for my vanity plate. Buzzzzzzzed…

Double pump Holly®, Hooker® headers, Thrush® Glasspacks. Ah… youth is wasted on the young!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

4 sure!..
But the 1970 Z28 had an LT-1 small block with 350 cu in, rated at 360HP (probably more like 400)…Still a rat motor with an attitude and a bueatiful looking car… whereas the 78 & 79 had the 302 cu in. rated at 290Hp, (again probably more like 325)

1 Like

Almost like asking “which is your favorite child”.

The LT1 small block was a screamer. The tach was out when I took her home. After I finally hooked up an aftermarket Autometer® in her, I was shocked to find that I had been easily redlining at 8k rpm when I was punching it. That beast was a barely tamed down drag car.

G60 x 15" T/A’s on American’s on four corners. That was big rubber for street driven cars in those days. Now I see motorcycles on the street with bigger shoes.

2 Likes

Man what a cool thread! I’ve got to post some stuff but in the meantime, who names their cars? I give a name to all my cars. Silly but fun lol. Let’s see…

Land shark (named after the tail fins)
Land yacht
Green machine
Old gold
Old blue
The van piece
The space shuttle
BB (black bronco)
Blue devil

I have to think about some more :smile:

Only one of my cars has earned a name.

A 1977 tan SAAB.

That car will always be embedded in my memory as:

THAT PIECE OF SHIT!!!

3 Likes

Wow…nice ride!

OK let me get back to you guys in a bit but I have a cool fishing story involving the land yacht. Ahhh…to be young and dumb again!

1 Like

OK folks, get yourself a cocktail ready and pour one for me

When I was a kid I went out fishing in September. The weather is normally great but fishing isn’t too good. It is the transition from summer fish to fall and it is an awkward time in nj for fishing.

The weather can be epic and I decide to take the boat out to enjoy an awesome day on the water.

I decide to just mess around and fish for bluefish. There isn’t much to fish for.

I made some rigs that I crimped with super heavy wire and it was totally overkill for bluefish.

We start fishing and get a few. Suddenly my rod doubles over and starts screaming from a rod holder! I knew something was wrong. I’m looking around to see a boat as I thought I was caught in the running gear of a passing boat. There is no boat close to us. At that point I’m like “wtf is going on?”

The reel is peeling off line like nothing I’ve seen. I had no clue what was up. Striped bass don’t take line like this, nor do rays which swim slower but can tear line off. I thought about a big sturgeon but they don’t swim that fast either. I was baffled and we start the motor to chase this thing.

I’m fishing with a Penn 850ss spooled with over 300 yards of trilene big game, 20lb. This was before braided line was around.

After an hour of chasing this thing I finally see a fin. Shark!

We were just messing around fishing and next thing you know I have a beast of a shark. A boat sees me wailing on this shark and they approach. We had no gaff so they carefully approached and gave us their gaff. Once the shark gets close we gaff if and bend the hook out. This was a solid gaff, aftco brand. I felt bad we ruined their gaff but fisherman help each other out.

The fight continues.

We finally get this monster to the boat and tail it. We tie it off and we won the war…so far.

We start to motor back home with this shark tied off. The wind is blowing west so the ocean is calm. The Sandy hook peninsula is a 7 mile stretch and will shelter you from west wind. Once you enter back into the bay the water can get really rough. It can be calm as can be in the ocean close to shore but the bay can be a mess. It was indeed a mess. Once we get around the hook, the seas are tough. We start plowing through waves and once we start getting into the waves the boat is pounding.

Suddenly the shark flips into the boat and starts going ballistic! My uncle jeff was driving and he runs up to the front (center console)

so it’s Jeff, Billy and I in the front of the boat with a huge shark trashing around in the back! No one is at the helm. We are trying to hold on as the boat is going full speed into the rough bay. Wind against tide sucks! So we have three dudes holding on trying to not get launched overboard while this shark is going fuc*ING nuts!

Panic mode sets in.

Billy decides to take his shirt off and wet it. We throw the shirt over the head and this worked to our advantage. Then we shove it’s head into a bucket and throw the boat into neutral. We toss the shark overboard and motor home.

We finally get home and we won the battle! (So I think)

We put the shark into my black buick, also known as the land yacht. The trunk could probably fit 2 coffins! Why we kept this thing, I have no clue. It was something that you probably will never see and it was really an amazing fishing accomplishment. I was young and dumb and it happened.

So now that I have this shark curled into my buick trunk I had to decide what to do with it. I decided I wanted to barter for some food. I was starving.

I decide to drive to some Chinese places and go to 4 places

A) I get denied. They didn’t want it

B) the lady wants it and comes outside to see it. She gets sketched out. Billy is a big dude with a shaved head and I think she thought he was a cop I believe.

C) I go inside and meet the owner. He is very interested and I bring him outside to show him the shark. As I approach the land yacht we suddenly hear this crazy noise from the trunk. It was like someone was banging on the trunk with a golf club! The shark is going insane in the trunk and its tail is banging on the trunk like a raped ape. Lol. It has been out of water for well over an hour! It is going insane! The Chinese gentleman freaks out and runs away screaming something in his language haha! It was like he saw a ghost. I can’t make this shit up! So I’m three strikes down.

D) I then chill in the land yacht and decide what to do and let the shark chill out. I go to place 4. I finally decide to get this thing out of my car. I got some food and 30 bucks. That was some really tasty beef lomein!

Of course this is a fictional story :slight_smile:

And yes, I have a pic. I have to snap a pic at my parents. My dad has a pic in his shed. Photo shopped :smile:

@jcostiones I’m sure you have some gulf stories!

3 Likes

Name these cars in movies.

The cruising vessel
Melba toast