A Brief History of Jojos, Which Are from the Pacific Northwest and Not the...

7 Likes

Interesting @bbqboy - love me some Jojo’s! Haven’t had any for years, though.

2 Likes

Goodness, I’ve not had - nor thought about - jojos in years. There is (was?) a truck stop outside of Portland that sold them both in the cafe and the minimart; was a usual stop and purchase for me on my way through that area.

Edited to add: My cousin recalls a couple places in The Dalles - this would have been prior to the bioterrorism attack - that sold jojos. Their family would grab some on drives between Portland and Pendleton.

Cousin says his mom refused to stop in The Dalles after that and wouldn’t let the kids eat anything from gas stations/minimarts. Now he is craving jojos, too.

1 Like

Due to enhanced perception because of this topic recently, I noticed a gas station/convenience store, local to me, that was selling jojo’s along with chicken. Big signs in the windows! Not sure I’d eat them at that particular place, but who knows…maybe.

Also, brought back lots of memories about a place long ago, near to a workplace of mine. A few of us at lunch would run down there, get some, and eat them in a nearby park. They were soooo good, and we were always sorry when they were gone. Don’t know what they did to make theirs so delicious. Oh, those were the days! And, of course, we thought they’d never end. But they did. Damnit!

2 Likes

Take the plunge. I’ll bet the chicken is great too :yum:

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll give it a try and report back @bbqboy. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

OK, couldn’t quite get my nerve up to try Jojos from the local convenience store/gas station. BUT, did try try them X2 at a local pub type place - takeout both times. First time, only had one, and it was so excellent! Evoked totally, my experience from times past! So many things don’t stand up to memory, but this did. Toothsome potato, with that fab coating that tastes like fried chicken! :poultry_leg:
Fast-forward a few weeks, and I tried them again, this time with an Italian Sub sandwich. (Again, takeout)
Verdict - yes!! Excellent and again, lived totally up to the standards, remembered fondly. I was so surprised in a happy way. Perfect coating that tasted like fried chicken, and with just the right amount of texture in the potato. Oh yum, I’ll be a repeat customer. HOWEVER, unlike the days of old, I had maybe three or four of those bad boys, rather than the restrained 1 or 2, I used to have. They’re huge, so a couple three wedges are like a half huge potato. Plus, I ate them with 1/2 sub sandwich! Sooo, too many, made me full, and realizing it’ll be some time before my next indulgence!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Finally read the article about jojos. This sentence is the best: “In a miserable world of chia pudding and fitness water, it’s increasingly hard to find jojos with the correct level of greasiness.”

Great read.

3 Likes

Same here. When I was a Spring Onion, I loved KFC. I could swear I had (and also loved) their version of jojos back then? For anyone who remembers, was that a jojo?

2 Likes

KFC called theirs Potato Wedges, pretty close to a JoJo though.

5 Likes

So are Jojos breaded or battered?

Due to a comment elsewhere, I just went down a proverbial rabbit hole reading about Jojos, Shakey’s Mojos, and a bunch of recipes that don’t necessarily mesh.

Anyway, interesting blog post here:

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/jo_jo_potatoes_jojo_potatoes

Which mentions Shakey’s Mojos, so I went and found a photo of those, too:

1 Like