7 Auspicious Dishes for the upcoming Chinese Lunar New Year

Just sharing my latest piece for the Michelin Guide, to be published in Malaysia and Singapore.

18 Likes

Congratulations again!

3 Likes

Thank you!

How fabulous is that?!

1 Like

Malaysians would beg to differ

Stirring up the rivalry a bit more, I see… :smiling_face: :blush:

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

The Malaysians hate to lose out to Singaporeans in anything! In fact, Malaysia only threw its hat into the ring very recently: 21 Jan 2023 when its local political heavyweight, Anthony Loke, Malaysia’s Transport Minister and Secretary-General of Malaysia’s Democratic Action Party, shared that his grandfather, Loke Chin Fatt, was the one who came up with the dish.

Personally, I found the Malaysian story not plausible, as we are talking about a small, now-defunct restaurant, Loke Ching Kee, in a small town, Seremban, 45 minutes’ drive out of Kuala Lumpur.

Kuala Lumpur itself is the largest metropolis in Malaysia, with its largest Cantonese population and thousands of Cantonese eateries. To think that they all emulated a dish from this previously unheard of eatery, with no historical evidence and nothing other than the Transport Minister’s personal reminiscences, just seemed too far-fetched!

4 Likes

The article was written more than 1000 BC, and the Chinese began to eat sashimi, which shows that sashimi originated in China. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes! I have seen it (sashimi in China) in the netflix documentary Flavourful Origins. Highly recommended.

There are many similarities between Japanese cuisine and Chinese cuisine. You can’t say who learned from the other. It’s more about using local materials. Many different places in China have their own dietary characteristics. I read a related article that introduced it.

1 Like

Season 1 is probably the best food documentary I have ever seen.

These ingredients often come from the sea in Chaoshan, a couple hundred miles up the coast from Hong Kong. One episode features a local tradition of eating marinated raw seafood, such as colorful flower crabs steeped in a bath of vinegar, salt, chiles, and cilantro. There are other oceanic surprises — for example, Chaoshan’s rich history of farming and drying seaweed, which Westerners might instinctively associate with Korean and Japanese cooking. Another episode looks at the ancient Teochew tradition of preparing thinly sliced raw fish (we learn that the practice was later exported to Japan, becoming what we now know as sashimi).

1 Like