65 Year Old Dentist Finds New Career as Line Cook - NONESUCH

This is so great. Are there any HOs in OKC? Setting aside my annoyance at the attention paid to 10 course tasting menu eateries, I might consider visiting this “Best New Restaurant in America” because of this fella, if it weren’t perennially sold out. NONESUCH

2 Likes

I don’t like to play a wet blanket on the Interwebz, but… just a wild guess here, but I seriously doubt he’s relying on his earnings as a tyro line cook to actually support whatever lifestyle he became accustomed to over the course of four decades as a dentist, much less lay a financial foundation for the rest of his life… So while it’s kinda cool as a “post near-retirement hobby business” in a manner of speaking, the comment “for people my age or in the middle of their working lives, it takes courage to pursue a passion, to reinvent yourself” seems awfully disingenuous. Twenty years out of dental school in his mid-forties, OK. But at 65? As far as a “career change” is concerned, the expression “cool story, bro” springs to mind…

2 Likes

I admit his courage to do something that he is strongly passionate about. But @MikeG is right that it’s not a career change but a hobby job after retirement. I blame more the BA writer for the “catchy title”

I read a story that a client that frequented Michelin 3-star restaurant, decided one day to quit his well paid job. He went back to school in his late forties, with the help of the 3-star chef friend, he got a stage in a respectable restaurant of chef’s friend, I think the guy was around 50.

Mikeg. This is Peter’s wife . Don’t let arrogance and preconceived ideas lead you to make assumptions you know nothing about. We are living off his Nonesuch salary but we are making it work. Think before you speak. Peace and love

1 Like

This is Peter’s wife. As I responded to MikeG no one knows our our circumstances, and to assume you do is irresponsible. We live off his salary from Nonesuch. I

Thanks for clarifying. I personally do not consider this work “a hobby,” so I was unsure how to respond to the comments without it just looking like a sand box fight. Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course.

I will say I am super impressed and heartwarmed that Peter is acting on a dream. Not everyone has the courage and health to do so at this age, or any age really.

1 Like