25 pounds of AP flour!!!

Agree @ Saregama! Very thoughtful @shrinkrap, I know people were pretty desperate for some in our parts not long ago, but supply seems to be fairly good now according to H.

1 Like

Pastry freezes well and it’s a bit of a pain to make each time. If you have room in your freezer you could batch make pastry so always have some ready.

1 Like

I felt like I had won a prize when I saw a bag of King Arthur unbleached flour being loaded into my car. I have fortunately been able to get small amounts here and there but never what I really wanted. Same with rice.

I have a neighbor who was desperate for some flour. Sadly, I only had about I cup left, so none to share. Supplies seem good here now though. In fact I need to make bread today. If any of you are still needing yeast, the whey left over from yogurt or cheese making turbo charges just a tiny amount of yeast; in fact many don’t even add yeast when using.

Do you need more yeast? I still have.

If directed at me @MsBean, no, but thanks. I had a very weird impulse on my last trip to a supermarket. I grabbed quite a few packets, and more than we needed, by far. Not sure why, but glad I did. Every time H has gone shopping since then, I always asked him to look for flour, sugar, and yeast. He found and bought pizza yeast first, then started to find sugar, and flour too, but not all at the same time. So, good to go for both baking and jam making, which I need to do.

I actually meant to direct it to @heidicooksandbakes. She lives in my neighborhood. I usually have one of those pound bags from Costco even though I am so NOT a baker. Flour and sugar appear randomly around here but I haven’t seen yeast in ages.

Ah, wasn’t sure. Yes I buy the big yeast from Costco, because even if you just use part of it, lots cheaper than the little packs. But H complains about it…grrrr

Hide it in the cookbook!

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Your cookbook shelves

Split from the link above.

Do you really want to know how old I was before i used, hell, was even aware of anything but AP flour? Or that my mother, who made the most ethereal French batarrds weekly never used anything but AP flour?

Use it with gay abandon and realize that the quality of the loaf may or may not have relationship with the flour rather than the baker.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer! I managed to snag one of those jars of yeast from the supermarket.

Does The Sprout need any flour for her baking projects? I have plenty to spare!

Freezer space is limited right now, but it’s a good option for when I have eaten some of the current contents.

And I’ll definitely be spreading the baked goods around!

Freezing some flour is a good idea. I just need to create some space.

Most of my family and friends are not bakers. So I’m going to force some baked goods on them!!

1 Like

Yes, it looks like my freezer is going to converted to the carbo-freezer!

Oh, that’s a good idea! Especially considering my lack of freezer space right now!

2 Likes

She’s good, thanks. A friend got the 2 10LB packs at Costco and gave me a bag. That should last her a while.

1 Like

Yes. I did buy the 25 pound bag of Ardent Mills flour at costco - and then as folks know I bake, I was given more flour!

So I ‘decanted’ it into gallon ziplock bags, 4 - 5 pounds per bag, put it in a sealed plastic tub and then put that tub in the cold storage part of our house.

Vacum packed would have been even better but, this is not bad.

FYI, the Ardent Mills flour seems to have a touch more protein than gold medal. If anyone wondered…

1 Like