2024 Northern and Central California Food News and Journalism [SF Bay Area, Northern California, Central California, Northern Nevada]

Maria C. in Mission Local on Dumpling Story

Dumpling Story
694 Valencia St.
San Francisco, CA 94110

excerpt:

Beef tongue came next:

Beef tongue in 1,000-year sauce.

Also thinly sliced, it came in a soy sauce-based stock — a “1,000-year sauce” — known as a master sauce in Cantonese cuisine. It can typically consist of soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, ginger, garlic, coriander, pepper, salt, sugar and chili powder. Sometimes cinnamon, star anise and dried mushrooms are used. This tasted similar to the five-spice of the beef slices, but in hyperdrive. As much as I loved the previous dish, I preferred the tongue for its luxuriant beefiness. One of my favorite items of the night.

Matts catches a trout at 8,500 feet in the snow -

the catch starts at about the 24:26 mark

2 Likes

Nite Yun’s Cambodian food at Lunette in the SF Ferry Bulding -

from SF Standard - The K.T.P.P. (Kuy Teav Phnom Penh) soup, made with rice noodles, shrimp, “pork three ways,” and crispy garlic, all afloat in a lovingly made 8-hour pork broth."

The Kuy Teav Phnom Penh noodle soup (left) and Mee Kola bowl at Lunette Cambodia. | Source:Tâm Vũ/The Standard

Luke and Thien late night at Golden Boy Pizza at 542 Green in SF North Beach -

I don’t know if this is the best slice in San Francisco, but it sure felt like it was. Standing there hunched over outside in the lamplight, balancing the pizza box in one hand and a can of soda in the other while we ate. Cars whizzed past. A saxophone guy on the opposite street corner was playing something plaintive and jazzy. In that moment, it was hard to imagine anything better.

Eating a Golden Boy slice while standing on the sidewalk late at night is an indelible San Francisco experience. (Thien Pham)

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/transamerica-pyramid-renovation-new-restaurant-19513615.php

Edalatpour in the East Bay Express -

Risa Nye in Oaklandside -

Join Edible East Bay for a Summer Issue Launch Party at Mosley’s Cafe in Alameda’s Grand Marina on Thursday, June 20, 6:30–8:30pm.

https://edibleeastbay.com/2024/06/12/set-sail-with-the-summer-table/

from Hoodline Oakland -

Rocky Rivera at KQED -

3 Likes

FYI as most of us tend to forget: there’s a thread just for Berkeley food news. I just posted the news about the replacement for Westbrae Biergarten on Gilman St./Berkeley.

1 Like

This was overdetermined from their relationship with Dave Portnoy. Like it’s one thing to take the scumbag’s money if he’s giving it away for free, but slobbering all over him by celebrating “Dave Portnoy Day”? When I read that I knew Sam’s was getting my business going forward.

1 Like

Narsai David, Bay Area restaurateur and food journalist, has passed away at age 87.

from KCBS -

Narsai’s Restaurant became a destination for a budding culture of people who now call themselves “foodies” and David became an originator of farm-table cuisine. He fed rock royalty such as the Rolling Stones, and actual royalty from the U.K. That led to a TV show, newspaper columns and, eventually, a show on KCBS Radio starting in the 1980s.

The audio from the KCBS tribute to Narsai begins at about the 1:15 mark. Narsai had a food segment on KCBS radio for decades:

from YouTube -

Berkeley Historical Society: Narsai David, food and wine entrepreneur and raconteur, reflects on the Berkeley food scene before and after the opening of Chez Panisse–revolution or evolution? February 28, 2021.

4 Likes

Narsai on April 15, 2019 at Stanford Iran Studies Program for about 90 minutes -
https://youtu.be/0xX16gOZetg?si=iQgVHir5iNMtHYez

2 Likes

Oh, what a guy! He was everywhere. I’d hear him on KCBS, I’d read something in Sunset Magazine, see him on Over Easy (tv show) or at a food fest. I never got the chance to visit Narsai’s. Chez Madeleine, but not Narsai’s. Darn! He turned me onto his Chocolate Decadence recipe, with that sublime raspberry sauce and the CSPI Nutrition Action newsletter. May he rest peacefully.

3 Likes

I really liked Narsai. His radio spots were good. As a student at the Berkeley student’s coop, I picked up a food donation from his restaurant. not long before they closed. He was a coop alum. They handed me a 10 pound loaf of pâté for an event. Had no idea what it was until I got back.

3 Likes

I used to make Chocolate Decadence for dessert whenever we had company. I still have the recipe for it in a book with a brown paper cover and drawings of a naked woman cooking it! (It was the 70s - totally normal!)

2 Likes

from CBS -

Napa Valley Wine Train gets updated near-zero emission diesel engines -

from SF Standard -

Pick of the Produce -

fjrom Edible East Bay -

Seed Libraries Going Strong:

from Hoodline Oakland -

For parties and special events.

Our Top 10 and What’s New List will help you simplify your order!

Simply the best.

San Francisco Online Store

​​​​Welcome to Pineapple King Bakery! Your San Francisco Bay Area hotspot for Hong Kong-style fresh baked goods and drinks, with a variety of pineapple bun flavors!​

FEATURING - NEW and POPULAR ITEMS:

NEW! Croissant Egg Tart 焦糖可頌蛋撻 (available in SF store for now) - The most popular tart in Hong Kong, Macau and China right now. This is an upgrade of the traditional egg tart with croissant crust and caramelized top. Limit 6 per customer.

NEW! PKB Merch - Canvas Tote Bags and PKB Caps are available at San Francisco, and also Fremont store location!

NEW FREMONT LOCATION*

MISSION SQUARE PLAZA

46827 WARM SPRING BLVD, SUITE 101

FREMONT, CA 94539

(510) 270-8268

Business Hours: 6 days a week from 12:00PM-6:00PM, Closed Tuesdays.

Also 1915 Irving Street, San Francisco, open 7 days a week starting at 8 am.

FILE: Narsai David and Steve Mariucci during The 22nd Annual Napa Valley Wine Auction at Meadowood Napa Valley in St. Helena, California.

A. Nevader/WireImage

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/bay-area-narsai-david-dies-19530579.php

2 Likes

Speaking of seed libraries, or sales. There’s Kitazawa in Oakland. I see their seeds at Asian grocery stores and Berkeley Bowl, if I remember. Use to see their seeds in Asian grocery stores but that might have changed.

1 Like

Khushbu Shah reimagines Indian cuisine on KQED 88.5 Forum at 10 am and repeated at 9 pm, today June 24.

from the Khushbu website -

“WHAT IS INDIAN FOOD IN AMERICA?”

In her eagerly anticipated debut cookbook, acclaimed food writer Khushbu Shah injects an electric and irresistible energy into the story of Indian food, with 125 recipes inspired by the cooking of the diaspora. From the savory and bold flavors of Achari Paneer Pizza to the ultimate home-cooked comfort meal, a pot of Spinach Tadka Dal with rice, Khushbu’s recipes are flavor-packed, party-pleasing, and wonderfully surprising. She invites readers on a journey far beyond butter chicken (though she has a stellar recipe for it), offering instructions for preparing meals, drinks, and desserts as diverse as Saag Paneer Lasagna, Classic Dosas, Keralan Fried Chicken Sandwiches, Pani Puri Mojitos, and a Masala Chai Basque Cheesecake. Khushbu makes it easy to dive in, equipping home cooks with a list of simple-to-find pantry staples alongside vibrant images, clever tips and tricks, and illuminating essays that introduce a thrilling voice in American food.

Khushbu in Food and Wine -

Indian pizza — pizza topped with the flavor-packed sauces and highly spiced vegetables or proteins of the Indian subcontinent — is thought to have been invented in San Francisco in the 1980s by Dalvinder “Tony” Multani, the owner of Zante Pizza and Indian Cuisine, who combined his restaurant’s pizza menu and North Indian menu into one super-menu of Indian pizzas. The style caught on, and today, Indian pizza restaurants can be found across America.

1 Like

from Priya Anand in the SF Standard -

Aaha Indian Cuisine, 3316 17th St., Mission District

Open for lunch 7 days a week, dinner every day except Monday.

excerpt -

Of everything on the menu, the tandoori pomfret ($18) is one of my favorite dishes. The whole butterfish is scored, covered in masala and grilled until the edges are charred but the flesh is still moist. A side of cilantro chutney brightens it, while a pile of raw white onions contributes a sharp crispness. I also love the rich bagara baingan ($14), a Hyderabadi dish made of little eggplants stewed in a spicy tamarind-peanut curry which begs for a side of naan so you can sop up all the sauce.

From the tandoori fish to the goat biriyani, there is more than one way to eat deliciously and cheaply at Aaha. | Source:Adahlia Cole for The Standard

2 Likes

from Oaklandside/Berkeleyside:

Nosh has invited some of its favorite pop-ups and trucks for an afternoon of beers and bites at Temescal Brewing (4115 Telegraph Ave. in Oakland), Saturday, July 13 from noon to 4 p.m.

2 Likes

SFGate: The Bay Area condiment empire that started in a Chinatown basement

WN Foods has been around since 1942 and makes products for national brands

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/sf-wn-foods-soy-sauce-takeout-packets-19526086.php

3 Likes

from Oaklandside/Berkeleyside -

Mr. Liu Noodle House

Now open in Oakland’s Chinatown is Mr. Liu Noodle House, with an appealing menu of handmade noodle soups, clay pot noodle dishes and dumplings. Thanks to a reader for the tip. (The restaurant space’s former tenant, Baby Cafe Hong Kong Bistro, quietly closed several weeks ago to prepare for a move to San Leandro.) Mr. Liu Noodle House, 358 11th St. (at Webster Street), Oakland

Luke at KQED.org -

Jollof Festival Oakland will take place on Saturday, July 13, 2–7 p.m., at 7th West (1255 7th St.) in West Oakland — though, as the event organizers’ disclaimer notes, “This is an African event, things may run on African time.” Tickets start at $10 — $45 if you want to participate (and vote) in the blind tasting of the competitors’ jollof entries.

from SF Gate -
By Susana Guerrero,Food ReporterJuly 3, 2024

The Bay Area condiment empire that started in a Chinatown basement

WN Foods has been around since 1942 and makes products for national brands

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/sf-wn-foods-soy-sauce-takeout-packets-19526086.php

Pot sticker sauce packets at WN Foods in Hayward, Calif., June 28, 2024.

Lance Yamamoto/SFGATE

3 Likes

That Casper’s branch is my local. I had a farewell chili dog a couple of weeks ago. I hope the building is kept and that the sign goes to a good museum.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks - love Did You Eat Yet?! Now I’m hungry…

1 Like

Lauren Saria in SF Standard - Raves about Bettola’s porchetta at 343 Clement in Inner Richmond, SF

Anh-Minh Le in SF Gate writes about GoGa in Saratoga -

GoGa, which only has six tables and is named after the Golden Gate Bridge, is tucked in a small passageway behind the UPS Store on Big Basin Way — a surprising place to find a chef whose 30 years in the industry include working with master chef [Roy Yamaguchi] https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Chef-Roy-Yamaguchi-digs-into-island-roots-10990803.php) in Hawaii and the late Floyd Cardoz in New York. For nearly a decade, Turley ran his own restaurant in Shanghai, which was popular enough to warrant a write-up in Time magazine.

The four-course set dinner menu is updated weekly and priced at a reasonable $85 or so per person.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/hidden-restaurant-goga-saratoga-19553682.php

Luke Tsai’s summer Picks -

Big A Root Beer in Grass Valley, La Michoacana Ice
Cream in Vallejo, Soba Ichi in West Oakland, Nicks’s Sefood in Rockaway Beach, Soyful Desserts in San Jose, 2207 in Richmond CA, A One Kitchen and Bar in San Bruno, Alem’s Coffe in North Oakland, Antojitos Guatamaltecos in El Cerrito, Apni Mandi 24-hour Market in Sunnyvale,

Alix Wall in jweekly -

Solomon’s Delicatessen in Sacramento set to close

Eight years ago, the plan was unveiled for a Jewish deli at the site of the original Tower Records in downtown Sacramento. It would be called Solomon’s after Tower Records founder Russ Solomon.

The entrance to Solomon’s Deli in Sacramento in 2019. (Kelly Sousa)

Ruth Reichl is set for a talk at 7 p.m. Sept. 14 at the Oshman JCC in Palo Alto Tickets, which cost $65, are available now.

The entrance to Solomon’s Deli in Sacramento in 2019. (Kelly Sousa)

5 Likes