2024 Food Garden

Green bags also help. I was first gifted a pack several years ago, and have since become a believer.

1 Like

No! Eat it all asap!

1 Like

I have the boxes. I think they work very well.

1 Like

What type of seeds did you plant for this one? :grin:

2 Likes

Bird seed, DUH.

4 Likes

I keep it unwashed in a Tupperware FridgeSmart container that has a sliding vent.

1 Like

Thanks all!

WARNING! LONG POST!

I finally found time to document the garden. Our location is PNW.

In alphabetical order (for lack of a better system):

Apples: 10 trees, 8 varieties. Williams Pride, Pristine, Greensleeves, Honeycrisp, Akane, Fuji, Granny Smith, Honey Gold.

Apricots (terrible photo). Our first ever fruit on this one young tree.

Asparagus. Not much to see - we eat it as soon as it pops up.

Basil. Grown in the greenhouse only.

Blueberries. 6 Bushes, 5 varieties. Blue Crop, Patriot, Toro, Superior, Duke. Hope to load the freezer.

Bunching onions (scallions). Have/will seed several waves of these.

Cabbages. Alcosa and Quick Start. Planted about 20, but expect maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of these to actually mature.

Carrots. Imperator. Will have a June and July harvest. Any later, and the rust fly take over.

Cherries. 9 trees, 3 varieties: Rainier and Lapins (sweet), and Montmorency (sour). The sweet cherries will get consumed fresh, the majority of the sours (what doesn’t go into pie) will be frozen or turned into jam.

Corn starts in the greenhouse. Trinity bi-color. Will transfer to a cold frame in a week or two. When tall enough, we’ll take off the top of the cold frame. We pollinate by hand.

Cuke starts just going in. Both picklers (Wautoma) and slicers (Marketmore).

Currants. Both red and black. A new venture. Will make jam.

Herb garden. Stays behind a gate to keep the critters out.

Huckleberries. So tiny they’re a pita to harvest, but will make some jam.

Rainier strawberries (June bearing). Our biggest “crop”. We have hundreds of plants, and will freeze gallons of these.

Leeks. Everything has to be behind chicken wire as we have a lot of bossy cats in the neighborhood who like to dig.

Little Gem lettuce. We also have a few other leafy varieties, but the romaine are my favorite.

Meyer Lemons. Grown in a greenhouse. The tree is not thriving, but still producing. It’s been a good ride.

A new rosemary plant. Our old one had “an accident” when we recently painted the house.

Oregon Spring slicing tomatoes, as seen down the top of an accelerator. They will be set free in another few weeks. Also growing Ruby Crush (grapette) and Prarie Fire (heirloom).

Peaches. Our third peach tree. We haven’t had much luck with peaches, but keep trying.

Pears. 5 trees, including 4 Asian and 1 Euro. The Asian pears hold up for several months if refrigerated, the European pears are a summer variety for immediate consumption - so sweet and juicy!

Peppers in the greenhouse, where they will stay until late June or early July. Growing sweet bell, pepperoncini, and serrano.

Pole beans, just seeded in the greenhouse.

Raspberries. They grew like weeds at our old house, but we’ve been struggling at our currant location. This year we raised the bed (boggy spot), and it looks like we’ll get a few berries - yay!

A truly red rhubarb (variety is Crimson Red).

Russian kale.

Shelling peas. Variety is maestro. Will stock the freezer.

Snow peas (stirfry!).

Spinach. Variety is Nobel Giant.

Spuds. This year growing kennebec and Yukon gold.

Squashes (honeynut, butternut, Illinois, cushaw) and pumpkins (small sugar and Cinderella).

Storage onions.

Table grapes. Variety is Himrod. DH has a few others going back there (new plants), but I can’t recall the names.

Z is for Zucchini. Starts just going in.

5 Likes

Yay! Much appreciated. It looks amazing!
What are “accelerators”?

1 Like

Back in the day, we could get these for about $12 a pop, and they’ve lasted many years. I’ll be sad when they finally and totally fall apart (still a few years to go), as the price has gone up considerably.

We’re all about modular gardening (assemble-tear-down-move-reassemble), and these fit right in. Easily moved around to trouble spots when you need them.

2 Likes

That’s the healthiest looking pepper plant I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Substitute "tomatoes for “potatoes” and you’ve got my gardening history in a nutshell.

2 Likes

Well protected!

1 Like

Here is the “floating” portion of our strawberry project. As soon as the berries set and start putting on color, we’ll cover the whole thing with bird netting, which can be lifted up easily for harvesting (daily). No bending over to pick!

During the off season, the whole thing is disassembled, with the little black troughs going into cold frames for dormancy, and the saw-horses, scaffolding, netting, and supports packed up and put away.

3 Likes

As mentioned earlier, I am trying hard necked garlic yet again; Creole varieties, which are supposed to be feasible in warm climates.

I’ve got some scapes!

Also some flowers on peppers

)

And tomatoes!

It’s not in the 90’s yet, so hoping they will set fruit

3 Likes

Buggy’s name?

I believe it is the cicada, about which much has been foretold! But just a regular annual California one.

1 Like

All set up!

4 Likes

For years, the birds have taken every partly-ripe mulberry from a decently-sized tree. Finally, the tree has produced enough fruit to stuff the birds and leave enough to pick. Fully-ripened fruits are black-red.
oscar_mulberries
This is a small fraction of what’s on the tree. The variety is “Oscar”, and it has very good flavor and long production season. The ripe fruit barely hangs on. If I had a tarp or sheets to put below the tree, I could shake them to harvest, which I may try.

6 Likes

Oh! So nice - I have mulberry envy!

1 Like