2024 Food Garden

Thank you again @bogman !

And thank you @ewsflash ! I’m going to try thinking of it that way! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Sweet peas; from the containers at the rear.

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Lovely! I bet they smell great, too. Peas are interesting plants, some toxic and other edible. Still others are partly edible, like an obscure tuber-forming pea, Lathyrus tuberosus. It makes fragrant flowers, and an edible, small tuber. The latter may take 2-3 years to size-up and be worth cooking. I’m not sure, but I think the seeds and above-ground parts on this species are toxic. I’ve got seeds for this one, but haven’t planted them yet. I’m curious if the tubers taste as great as reported.

1 Like

I can smell them!

1 Like

:grinning:

Back to the food!

First flowers on new Scotch Bonnet “Jean” plant

And new Aji Amarillo plant

Even the old Fresno, overwintered outside, is making flowers!

Last of the chard!. It was at least 85 f today.

3 Likes

I found this after I "refreshed " most of my Earthboxes.

I finally got all of the peppers planted. These are red, and (hopefully) yellow, and orange Italian cornos, and three varieties of poblanos.

So of course it’s cold tonight!

On the brighter side, a breba fig!

3 Likes

Sorrel, mustard, herbs, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cukes. And a squatter!

4 Likes

Do you mean watering the dirt at the base of the plant, or watering the plants so the lime water gets on the leaves?

I had 3 figs form just a couple of days after I brought my plant up from the cold basement. The leaves were a week or so behind. Sadly, they fell off, all on the same day, once they got to grape size.

2 Likes

1 Like

@small_h , you seem to be doing well with all those seedlings! Well done!.

@pavlova , my breba figs rarely make it, and if I’m not mistaken, don’t taste amazing, so bring on with the rest of them!

Splendid! I’ve been checking out versions basil, and was wondering how different some of them really are.

2 Likes

So far!

I mean soaking the soil. this is primarily for pH adjustment, so the leaves aren’t involved. For a Calcium or other micronutrient deficiency in plants, Cal-Mag has a lot of those and can be applied as a foliar spray. Check the label on soluble fertilizers to see what they have and how to dilute the product. Many can be used as foliar sprays. Just keep Cal-Mag and different regular-type fertilizers from combining, or a black, useless residue will form.

1 Like

Okay, thank you. I have not tried adding dolomitic line to the watering can. I have always mixed it into the soil.

I will give it a try after I test the pH

What looks like a big harvest of chard, but this stuff cooks down to nothing!

I’ve already washed it, because I didn’t want to many bugs in the fridge. Any suggestions for storing ?

I found this.

And this.

1 Like

I, too, prefer to wash immediately after harvesting greens. I prefer to get rid of dirt and bugs sooner rather than later! After a good rinse in cool water, I’ll spin them in a salad spinner (usually in many, MANY batches!), then loosely roll the greens in paper towels and put in plastic bags. The towels help moderate the moisture/humidity levels and keep the greens fairly fresh for about a week. I’m talking chard, spinach, leaf lettuces, etc.

2 Likes

Green bags also help. I was first gifted a pack several years ago, and have since become a believer.

1 Like

No! Eat it all asap!

1 Like

I have the boxes. I think they work very well.

1 Like