2024 European Food Crawl - Reims, Champagne…..A side trip to visit ‘ the other Notre Dame ‘ and lunch at the 3* L’Assiette Champenoise ( Part 1 )

Before focusing my effort in reviewing our latest mind-blowing meal at the Michelin 3* L’Assiette Champenoise. Based on past experiences and this recent encounter, I would like to make an off-the-cuff comment……. “ Not All Michelin 3 stars are created equal……there are 3 stars and then there are 3 STARS!! “

Case-in-point……using the Amuse Bouche offered at my recent NYC’s 3* Le Bernardin meal and compare with those at the 3* L’Assiette Champenoise as example…….the differences were simply night and day

The one offered at Le Bernardin was a pathetic ‘communal’ bowl of ho-hum Salmon Rillette, which we had to pass around amongst ourselves and served with some ‘ off ‘, chewy instead of crispy bread chips. Honestly, I can make a better rendition at home!

On the other hand, at L’Assiette Champenoise, we were brought a spectacular assortment of visually stunning and gorgeously delicious creations…… .from delicacies using Foie Gras to seafood mousse and caviar to18 months old Comte cheese….etc.

IMHO, this is a fine example in calling attention to the unreliability, bias and inconsistency of some so-called authoritative food and restaurant reviews……be they from the renown Michelin guide, Gault Millau, Opinionated-about-dining, La Liste, San Pellegrino World’s top 100 or even Google review……etc. In picking a dining venue, it is therefore prudent to do some advanced homework and comparative analysis using a variety of sources!

San Pellegrino, IMO, produces one of the most insider biased and ‘ out-of-whack ‘ lists! Featuring so many weird and unworthy candidates in the top 100 list, whilst omitting some real stand-outs completely, it is obvious that some sort of partisan insider input was involved. On the current 2024 list were some restaurants I have frequented in the past, but found overhyped and overrated. These include #8 Atomix in NYC, #21 Den in Tokyo, #24 Septime in Paris, #44 Le Bernardin in NYC, Narisawa #51 in Tokyo…. etc.

As for the exquisite and superb L’ Assiette Champenoise?!..comparing to some of their esteemed peers in France on the list, eg., #24 Septime ( tried), Bruno Verjus #10, L’ Arpege #62 ( tried ), Le Clarence #67 and Alleno Paris Ledoyen #78 (tried )….this culinary gem was not even on the top 100 list!..Go figure??!

My two cents!..and sorry for the rant!

7 Likes

I was thinking about booking L’Assiette for our trip lat November and already I am regretting not doing so based on your first post.

All one needs to know about the World’s 50 best and Asia 50 best is that there are frequently no Japan-based restaurants on the list which are not French, French-Japanese fusion or Den. It’s just impossible to think that given the quality of the cuisine in Japan nothing merits inclusion. I don’t frequent Paris or France enough to comment on the reliability of France based restaurants on the list but the few I have been to (Septime in 2012 and a few others) haven’t seemed to justify their position in contrast to several places that I expect are similar to L’Assiette.

Looking forward to the rest of your review.

2 Likes

Buckle up when you see the dessert presentation!! The mignardise dessert presentation even bests the amuse bouche in visual impact!!..and they tasted pretty darn good as well!