2023 Food Garden!

Ok! thanks.

new banana cutting well timed with rain this may find a home in the earth.

strawberry bush also from a buds plant. not sure where and how to manage this one. any tips welcome !

4 Likes

Meyer lemons looking good!

5 Likes

Great job! What will you amend with before planting the peas?

2 Likes

So far, it has been soooo wet, I have stayed inside and dreamt of seeds and plants.
I do need to plant at least 3 bareroots fruits this year. Iā€™m in Sunset Zone 14 and will have to wait until Iā€™m sure frost is done with.

1 Like

Wonderful pictorial, thank you. It makes me want to start planning this weekend. That may be the best thing for me to do with all this rain and my worry about my treesā€¦ and trying to get a fridge repairman to come out during torrential rains (which is proving to be close to impossible.)

1 Like

Me too! But sometimes I like to think parts of my yard are 8/9 or 14/15. I am in northern Solano County.

3 Likes

Our go-to: composte and worm castings.

4 Likes

Iā€™m in Central Contra Costa. And same! :slight_smile: 14/15 in the front, 14 in the back, :smiley:

1 Like

Itā€™s an elite club, to be sure, but I too have killed both rosemary and mint.

Routinely.

You gave me some tips for my dead looking curry leaf stem last year and I am happy to say it is doing much better. I have moved and it lives in a south-facing window on a shelf atop a cast iron radiator. Not actively growing in an Ottawa winter but very much alive.

4 Likes

Same! I do have a Rosemary plant that is 5 years old. I have never before been able to keep them longer than a summer here in zone 5a. Itā€™s pretty woody and not prolific, but it is enough Rosemary for me to use occasionally so I have hung on to it. It goes outside in the summer.

2 Likes

I can kill orchids, too, but thatā€™s not nearly as impressive.

3 Likes

Well, most of us in the desert have committed multiple orchid homicides.
Congratulations on your five-year rosemary! We donā€™t have to bring them indoors here, and so far theyā€™ve let us know (by dying) that they donā€™t like pots and much prefer the ground.

1 Like

I think that must be someone elseā€™s. My balcony rosemary looks pretty dead, although Iā€™ll keep watering it 'til spring, just in case.

1 Like

I canā€™t keep orchids or poinsettias going for more than 2 weeks.

1 Like

:grimacing: Ouch. I thought it was a weed! JK. So happy to have it. Same with some, but not English Lavender.

1 Like

Oops, that was pavlova with the five year rosemary.

1 Like

My current project is watching my 8 lavender plants die a slow death, and we havenā€™t even gotten to the worst of our winter yet. Weā€™re down to about 4 at this point, and they are slowly wilting and turning brown. They are the winter hearty variety so thereā€™s no reason they should die just due to cold. It takes special care from me to apparently kill them off over months.

2 Likes

I peeked under the cloches for the first time since the holiday freeze. Looks like I lost a few pea plants, but in general A-OK. Iā€™m happy! (Knocking wood!)

5 Likes