2023 Food Garden!

There had been a good discussion of growing curry leaf plants (murraya koenigii) in the 2022 veggie garden board.

I saw this article today and thought it would be of interest:

5 Likes

Window sill Thai Basil

5 Likes

I had no idea, and I thank you for the information.

I grew up never having tasted rhubarb until my grandma-in-law made something with rhubarb for a family dinner. I was an instant fan, and see rhubarb as something to improve almost anything, especially apple pie. I tried to grow it here, it doesnā€™t like growing here. At all. Breaks my heart.

Sighsā€¦

Do I need to rethink rubharb? The only rubharb plants Iā€™ve been able to find around here are the green variety. One neighbor promised a red, but never delivered. I donā€™t grow it, but maybe I should keep looking?

1 Like

I hate to say it, but the largest plant in the pot is not Thai basil. Maybe the very tiny plants are what you planted (too small to tell). The largest plant appears to be a weed, Henbit, Lamium amplexicaule. You can crush a leaf and smell it: herby, but not like Thai Basil.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got two good-sized windowsill plants of Curry Leaf. Iā€™ve been wanting to make cuttings, but am not sure this is the best time; perhaps theyā€™ll root with a heat mat.

Curry Leaf really likes it warm, not growing much when the temperatures drop below around 78Ā°F (26Ā°C). They seem to like Virginiaā€™s hot, humid summers just fine. Donā€™t let them dry out completely; they seem prone to dying if they wilt to the point of losing leaves.

Iā€™ve had rabbits chew them to the ground and kill them. Fortunately, we have a local fellow from India who grows lots of potted plants. Now, they sit high on a table during the summer. Mites will sometimes attack the trees, especially indoors. I have the same problem when Hibiscus and the Magroot Lime come indoors. Outside, predators keep mites in check. Predatory mites donā€™t like dry, indoor conditions.

3 Likes

Thank you @bogman these are great tips.

I have two large pots indoors in a sunny location where my curry leaf (small) trees are doing well. They have lived there for years.

On the other hand, I have killed 3 rosemary shrubs outdoors over the last 3 years :disappointed:
Still hoping to find the right spot.

2 Likes

I thought I alone had this power. I can also kill mint.

2 Likes

You have super-powers, indeed.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never tried my hand at eradicating bamboo, but I bet I could do it.

4 Likes

Me too! For me I believe itā€™s the hot, dry climate. I tried to grow it in a pot in the winter but that struggled too.

1 Like

Here we are, the Mint Killers!

3 Likes

One little mojito mint plant that could fit in an 8 ounce cup spread over half my garden over a course of 3 years. I now keep my mint in a shady spot where it wonā€™t thrive , and keep an eye on it.

Whether my Rosemary makes it through a winter depends on the winter. My oregano and mint are tough cookies.

2 Likes

obvs i am going to vote yes on rhubarb :slight_smile: i loved growing and using mine, even though i didnā€™t use all of it (obvs) and it wasnā€™t/isnā€™t a pure-red variety.

2 Likes

I canā€™t remember in where you live. Are there any Dutch-American or Italian-American run garden centres near you? The Dutch-Canadian or German-Canadian run garden centres (which tend to be the independently-owned garden centres in Ontario outside the Greater Toronto Area- the Italian-Cdn run some good garden centres in the Toronto/Hamilton Area) near me usually have 3 or 4 types of rhubarb available, next to the berries and fruit trees.

I was so happy with Baker Creek seeds last year. I only bought seeds, because of Customs.

I would think you could order some rhubarb from Baker Creek, too.

1 Like

If Iā€™m going to grow it, I suppose I should learn how to spell it ā€¦ :neutral_face:

1 Like

Weā€™re in Washington State on the coastal side of the Cascades.

We love Baker Creek, and just received our seed order from them for this year. I checked just now, and they donā€™t have it, but Territorial Seed does:

2 Likes

" We ship rhubarb roots mid to late March. They need to be planted upon arrival. Not available to Canada or US Territories."

Huh, they donā€™t ship to CA or US?!

I think they mean the US Territories (Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.)

We order live plants from them all the time - no problem.

2 Likes