2023 Food Garden!

I only had a handful so I made them with the carrot and handful of beens I picked. Braised in a little water olive oil , seasoned with dill and lemon.

1 Like

We “caught” some bats in our HVAC closet, and I asked my neighbor who she had used for bat exclusion. She said she liked the company she had used, and would get back to me, then added "at least you didn’t have one of these in your house!

4 Likes

Would that snake eat a bat?
What kind of snake is it?

I saw a friendly garter snake today in my rock garden.

1 Like

I don’t think the bat and snake are related; just things hanging out in our neighborhood homes. Still working on identifying the snake.

2 Likes

Yikes!

1 Like

A few nectarines from a tree I was sure was dead!

I think Nectar Zee.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this- I really like your writing

1 Like

They loom wonderful! No snakes or bats!

1 Like

Thank you! I won’t share the picture of the bats in th HVAC closet. :grimacing:
But here’s my first large tomato!

5 Likes

Bravo!!!

It just doesn’t grow anywhere; but I’ve seen it frozen at Walmart. Though it mixes well, I still love it on its own; but I’ve been eating it (including raw) since I can remember.

Art! She’s a beaut!

1 Like

Thank you! So kind of you to say so!

Thank you! Hope it tastes as good as it looks. First time growing this “Hossinator” as part of someone’s trials.

The first summer of the pandemic (also my first attempt at gardening) I grew tomatoes in containers on my deck. Black Krim, Purple Cherokee and especially Black Cherry (all indeterminate) grew and produced like crazy. I had no idea how these plants would explode and I was totally unprepared to support them. Nevertheless, they did great. The only determinate I planted in a container was a Roma and it failed pretty spectacularly.

I’m having a very good tomato year. So far. Knock wood. I think part of the credit has to go to my next door neighbor, who started composting this year. The plants really seem to like that!

2 Likes

I still haven’t managed to nail down cabbages. So many seem to bolt early, depending on spring temps (which I can’t predict). I tend just to plant a lot, in waves, and see what sticks. Not very efficient as far as space goes, but the payoff is worth it thus far.

This is a new-to-me variety - Express. It came in early, with the Alcosa (my most reliable thus far). The little heads are enough for one per stir-fry, along with some garden carrots and scallions.

Then, we have cherry season closely following the end of strawberry season - busy-busy!!! These are Montmorency sour cherries from our newish trees - 4-5 y.o.? Also had Rainiers and Lapins come in this year - our first cherry year ever. I see pie in our future!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! It’s so interesting to me to see different climates. Can you remind me where you are?

PNW - maritime climate. Zone 8b.

2 Likes

One of my first Dwarf tomato project striped tomatoes.

5 Likes