2022 Northern and Central California Food News and Journalism [SF Bay Area, Northern California, Central California, Northern Nevada]

Fishing for halibut in the San Francisco Bay out of the Berkeley Marina -

Fishing for King Salmon out of Half Moon Bay -

1 Like

Of course! There used to be a la victoria in rwc, never did great business though. There is something addictive about it, and it isn’t that spicy. I prefer most other taquerias that take pride in their salsa with a bat and multiple kinds.

Solei ho completely panned the los altos did hall. The article is worth a read, sorry i don’t have the link to hand.

Yes, I read that story. She did like the place I’m interested in trying, the Mexican restaurant started by the female SF chef whose name escapes me…

Is this the stor;y?

2 Likes

Yeah! Thanks.

The only thing Soleil liked was the sit down restaurant outside the food hall. Even that is a wonderful dis - the best part is not being there :slight_smile:

Melanie Wong on Patisserie Philippe weekend pop-up on California and 30th and 31st Ave by the Lincoln Park Steps in the Outer Richmond in SF.

Favorite item, Pain de gênes, rich sponge cake of mostly ground almonds, eggs and butter with a layer of dark chocolate, glazed and decorated with fresh berries.

Open on Saturdays & Sundays from 11am to 2pm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd36O66vGKj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

An article on the ‘food hall’ trend.

San José Spotlight: Silicon Valley fills empty storefronts with food halls.

1 Like

OMG, I’m so happy to hear he is still baking! His palmiers were THE BEST ever! We used to drive in from Oakland just to stop by his Townsend St. patisserie.

The pain de genes sound wonderful, I’m a sucker for nut flour cakes. Sigh. We don’t get out much to the City any longer, now that my in-laws no longer live there and all our friends have left there, too.

1 Like
3 Likes

from a new episode of Check, Please! Bay Area -

0:58 - Top Hatters Kitchen and Bar in San Leandro. Oxtail and edible flowers at a Cal-Vietnamese restaurant.

7:14 - KINSmoke BBQ in Healdsburg

14:10 - Reem’s California Mission, at Mission and 25th Streets in the Mission District of SF. Reem has a new cookbook out.

21:23 - La Cocina Municipal Food Hall in SF at 101 Hyde. A tour of several stalls in the Tenderloin by Cecilia Phillips of KQED.-

Boug Cali Southern

Estrellita's pupusas

Teranga Senegalese

Kayma Algerian

Fluid coffee with mushroom

Los Cilantros

from YouTube -

In San Leandro, Chef DanVy at Top Hatters Kitchen & Bar cooks up rustic, made-from-scratch dishes, fusing Vietnamese and California flavors. Then, in Healdsburg, KINSmoke specializes in “the art of barbeque,” smoking ribs, brisket and chicken over Californian oak and cherry wood, served alongside five regional housemade sauces. Finally, Reem’s California Mission brings the flavors, aromas and warmth of the modern Arab street corner bakery to San Francisco’s Mission District. Reporter Cecilia Phillips closes out this week’s Check, Please! Bay Area with a visit to La Cocina Municipal Marketplace, the nation’s first women-led food hall, in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood.

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

excerpts from SF Eater -

The menu now features take-home pho kits, a handful of steam buns, and coffee. By night, he’s going to use the location to preview some of the new dishes he’s planning to introduce to the Slanted Door menu when the flagship location reopens at the Ferry Building in late fall 2022.

And even though the pop-up will run from June 15 to July 1, because dinner service will only be available Wednesday to Friday nights, it’s still a pretty limited run. There will be some 9 nights of service to choose from and reservations will only be available from about 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Tock.

University of California Berkeley

Wurster Hall

Berkeley, CA 94720

[(510) 937-0590](tel:(510) 937-0590)

https://slanteddoor.reservewithrex.com/package?venue=The%20Slanted%20Door%20Pop-up&date=2022-06-15&guests=2

2 Likes

Here’s a 3-minute video on Rumi Kitchen, a Persian food take-out inside a gas station at 3810 Broadway, near Kaiser Oakland, that Melanie Wong and Luke Tsai have mentioned

https://www.wevideo.com/view/2722960610

I had the eggplant in tomato sauce, with a hint of smoke and sweetness but retaining its structure in 6-inch long strips. Thankfully, not mashed or heavily salted.

The okra, not slimy, with potato was verygood. I skipped the rice and bread as part of my carb watch. The salad was made of cabbage, green bell pepper strips, a lemon wedge and yogurt with flecks of herb that were probably mint. The green salsa was chunky, spicy and very vinegary, appearing to be homemade.

The spot is open every day except Sunday from 11:30 am to 9 pm and the website promotes a happy-hour from 6-8 pm with 30% off.

Next, I want to try the mantu dumplings which look like shu mai, and the lamb shank over rice with julienned carrots and raisins.

There are no tables or chairs at Rumi so I started eating my catch while sitting on a bench in front of Kaiser about a block away.

The video and photos were filmed on a DragonTouch toy camera (about $17), small and unobtrusive - not super sharp but I like the look of it.

2 Likes

The commissary at the Oakland Zoo prepare meals for about 650 animals and caters to their particular preferences. The Oakland Zoo is celebrating its 100-year anniversary this year. The audio is about 12-minutes long.

excerpt:

Toum is a traditional — and delicious — Lebanese condiment made of garlic, oil and salt, whipped until creamy and white. Used generously as a spread, a drizzle and a sauce, toum is considered, by many, to be a vegan answer to mayonnaise, with a similar soft, tangy goodness.

But unlike mayonnaise, toum’s fluffy texture is a testament to expert technique, since, without an egg, an oil and lemon mix is much harder to emulsify. Also unlike mayo, it packs a decadent garlic punch. Recently, it’s been on the minds of the masses, spicing up menus in Oakland, Berkeley and beyond.

2 Likes

New openings in Oakland and Berkeley from Joanna Della Penna in Berkeleyside -

AFGHAN BURRITO* Nosh is so pleased to announce the opening of Afghan Burrito’s new bricks-and-mortar within what is now the Cal Food Garden, a comfortable, gated outdoor patio on San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley’s Poets Corner neighborhood. Food is as the name suggests — an intriguing blend of Afghani spices, sauces and flavors melded into fresh, Mexican-style dishes. including bowls and burritos, made with halal ingredients. Go check it out. Afghan Burrito *inside the Cal Food Garden, 2309 San Pablo Ave. (between Chaucer and Bancroft Way), Berkeley

DAMAOXIE* DaMaoXie opened earlier in the spring but we are never afraid to spotlight late. The Chinatown spot serves Cantonese-style Dungeness crab and other dishes; boba shop Tea Daily also shares a counter within the restaurant. DaMaoXie *, 251 Ninth St. (at Alice Street), Oakland

MATSUYAMA JAPANESE RESTAUR

excerpt:

The tofu in the Bay’s U-bend covers a wide swath of traditions and cultures: At US SoyPresso, Japanese-style tofu pudding is topped with soy milk and sweet beans. At Taiwanese Sogo Tofu, it is deep fried in “biandang” lunchbox-sized pieces. And at Vietnamese Thanh Son Tofu, it can be ordered tucked inside a banh mi.

Freshly fried tofu is one of the star attractions at Dong Phuong—one of San Jose’s many Vietnamese tofu delis. (Beth LaBerge/KQED)

5 Likes

Nice local success story.

3 Likes