2022 Manhattan restaurants

Semma looks great! The Indian places I remember best - although I only went to each of them once - are Tamarind and Bombay Bread Bar. I can’t remember a thing about Tabla, although I’ve been there. And I had the requisite number of cheap 6th Street meals.

It’s not that easy for me to find someone to eat Indian food with, though. The people I know who like it are mostly not in Manhattan anymore.

1 Like

Actually, I was thinking mostly about Cote.

1 Like

We’ve been to Cote once and enjoyed it. We did the Butcher’s Feast. It’s a substantial amount of food.

One warning. It gets very LOUD. We went early (5 p.m.) on purpose because we had heard about the noise issue. At first, it wasn’t busy. But by the time we finished about an hour and a half later, the place was full, and the noise level had risen to an uncomfortable level for us. We were very happy to be leaving.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. I hate noise in restaurants, so that puts Cote on the back burner for us.

Stochastic comments:

1. Indian Accent
    I last ate here around 2016. I liked it, but the menu has remained slightly static over the years. The sweet potato shakarkandi available then, as now, is good. Ditto other appetizers. The ghee roast lamb has always been excellent. I’d like to give them a particular shoutout, though, for having the appropriate gender-neutral organs for serving “makhan malai” as a dessert. It’s known as “daulat ki chaat” in New Delhi and other northern parts, and it’s a whipped milk froth available there only on mornings when the humidity and temperature cooperate. But Indian Accent, with the modern amenities of refrigeration at its disposal, offers it year(s) round – and I applaud them. It was excellent the one time I had it, although the accompanying jaggery brittle, etc., would have baffled the good citizens of North India from Delhi to Lucknow.

The other desserts there are also uncompromisingly Indian-oriented, although also with frills, as opposed to so many other Indian restaurants that have caved and offer mousse and suchlike.

1. Speaking of “Uncompromisingly Indian” let me register a protest against the “Unapologetically Indian” schtick of the Adda-Dhamaka group. The promulgation of obscure, previously unknown Indian foods at Dhamaka is a clever marketing ploy, but its legitimacy is doubtful. None of the dishes are featured in anything I’ve read – and I’ve read widely about regional Indian food (and eaten it widely) – nor do they resonate with a niece who lives in various northeastern areas of India, studies their customs, and eats a variety of tribal foods.

But, people are always suckers for the exotic and the slam of raw spice. And that’s what I object to most of all – the friggin’ raw, harsh, almost uncooked spices at Adda.

True confession: I’ve eaten there, but not yet at Dhamaka, but I am working on my well-heeled nephew to take me there for their rabbit.

1. Moving to “randomly Indian”, I like Saar on 51st a lot, especially their kebabs. They’re among the best I’ve had, including ones at tiny places in old-Delhi, and the fancy ones at the celebrated Bukhara in new-. I particularly recommend Sar’s murg kesar (chicken saffron), lasooni (garlicky chicken) and lamb. They’re really very good. Get any of their flatbreads to go with them.

I’ve also liked the food from Khiladi (lamb ghee roast, idli nuggets), but their menu seems reduced right now.

1. Switching cultures and cuisines, I like Mala Project, not just for the dry hotpot but for myriad other things: seaweed fish fritters, mala peanuts (which vary from batch to batch), and the pig ear in chili oil. This is not fashionable, but I do like specific things at Jing Fong: the chicken and salt-fish fried rice, cauliflower with preserved pork, and the loose turnip cakes.

All thoughts towards what we don’t get in Boston.

1 Like

In agreement on that dessert. But I loved the chikki!

@bcc you may also want to look into a la carte options — I’ve been there (ages ago) at lunch and off times, and sometimes ordered just one dish (iirc it was the pickle-sticky rib — not it’s official name and a dessert another time we went for drinks).

I thought about mentioning Tamarind, which used to be my (high end) favorite for many years, but I’ll caveat it now and say their appetizers are still excellent, but the mains were very disappointing the last few times (though to be honest, their mains were always disappointing unless it was the malai halibut or the special dishes like the raan).

So I don’t know if you prefer full plated meals, but as with most things I end up liking a couple of dishes here and other dishes there, which makes for a nice progressive meal but may not be everyone’s cup of chai :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(On raw spice issue at Adda I had to go find my earlier comments)

1 Like

Thanks. Saar looks particularly interesting. I’ll also take a look at Khiladi.

I suppose one could go to Tamarind and just order appetizers. We’ve done that at other places just to keep the quantities down.

I went to Semma one Sunday night in January and the following Friday went went to Dhamaka. I prefer Semma though I thought Dhamaka was very, very good. Ready for a return trip to both actually (still have not tried Adda).

On the Korean front, Jua is absolutely outstanding. Also have really enjoyed Her Name is Han and Atoboy.

For Chinese, I am a fan of Cha Kee, which is relatively new. Their tenderloin noodle dish with Okra is outstanding. Recently went to Spicy Village. Talk about a lot of fun. I am always a fan of BYO places, but for this place, the food was absolutely the star of the show (though the Ladera Chard we brought to go with it was also not bad at all).

3 Likes

Welcome @PenelopeWitherspoon!

2 Likes

Thanks for your post! I’d love to hear more about dishes you’ve liked at these places. That dish at Cha Kee sounds up me and my girlfriend’s alley.

1 Like

At Dhamaka, my absolute favorite thing was the Bharela Marcha. These are sweet peppers that are stuffed with peanuts and spices. They are so, so, so good.

1 Like

I’d be heading to Wayan if I was in NYC this week!

We’ve eaten at Wayan and enjoyed it very much.

1 Like

We’ve never been there and might have to try it. Meanwhile, we’ve been eating soft shells at our neighborhood Italian place in Brooklyn Hts. (Noodle Pudding) for about a week now. Sautéed, not battered & fried.

1 Like

We’ve mostly had them at Great NY Noodletown.

Agree completely, Steve, I’ve been trying to eat my way through his menu, and have not found a clunker yet! Great vibe too!

Ah well, sweet peppers and I don’t get along well. :slight_smile:

When it comes to Korean, these are some of my favorites from the past few months:

• Atoboy
  • Barn Joo Nomad
  • Cote
  • Insa
  • Jua
  • Mari
1 Like

Anything in particular you like at these places, and what neighborhood (other than Barn Joo) are they in?