2022 James Beard Awards

James Beard Semi-finalists were announced. New England has a few places represented.

Shout out to Chef Patricia Estorino of Gustazo in my little hamlet of Waltham :wink:

Outstanding Chef

• Douglass Williams, MIDA, Boston

Best New Restaurant
CafƩ Mamajuana, Burlington, VT

• Leeward, Portland, ME

Outstanding Pastry Chef
Kate Fisher Hamm, Leeward, Portland, ME

Outstanding Baker
Atsuko Fujimoto, Norimoto Bakery, Portland, ME

Outstanding Hospitality (Presented by American Airlines)
BaoBao Dumpling House, Portland, ME

Outstanding Wine Program
Rebel Rebel, Somerville, MA

Outstanding Bar Program
The Jewel Box, Portland, ME

Best Chef: Northeast (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT)

• Bowman Brown, Elda, Biddeford, ME
  • Vien Dobui, CƔNG Tį»¬ Bį»˜T, Portland, ME
  • Patricia Estorino, Gustazo Cuban Kitchen & Bar, Waltham and Cambridge, MA
  • Tiffani Faison, Orfano, Boston
  • Jeff Fournier, Thompson House Eatery, Jackson, NH
  • Daniel Gursha, Ledger, Salem, MA
  • Tico Huynh, Yvonneā€™s, Boston
  • Ben Jackson, Magnus on Water, Biddeford, ME
  • Jeremy Kean and Philip Kruta, Brassica Kitchen + Cafe, Boston
  • Christian Kruse, Black Flannel Brewing Company, Essex Junction, VT
  • Brian Lewis, The Cottage, Westport, CT
  • Courtney Loreg, Woodford Food and Beverage, Portland, ME
  • Macarena Ludena, Cora Cora, West Hartford, CT
  • Nisachon Morgan, Saap, Randolph, VT
  • Cassie Piuma, Sarma, Somerville, MA
  • William Rietzel, COAST, Watch Hill, RI
  • Damian Sansonetti, Chaval, Portland, ME
  • John DaSilva, Chickadee, Boston
  • David Schrier, Jessica Pollard and David Clegg, Daily Operation, Easthampton, MA
  • David Vargas, Vida Cantina, Portsmouth, NH
9 Likes

Iā€™m a bit puzzled by the Douglass Williams nomination. Weā€™ve been to the Newton Mida outpost twice and while we enjoyed several of the apps, every pasta dish we tried was over cooked, on both occasions. Getting al dente pasta to the table is not rocket science, it just takes attention to detail.

James Beard awards are as much about cooking abilities as they are about the ā€œrightā€ connections in the restaurant industry

Well ā€¦yesā€¦isnā€™t that why itā€™s interesting to hear what peoples experiences are at these places?

4 Likes

Steve Johnson said as much when I asked him why he wasnā€™t nominated.

1 Like

yeah - awards can tend to bring out the worst in people.

Yes, but I am surprised that people are surprised that restaurants with potentially not to so great food could still be nominated for JB - itā€™s less about food, more about connections (and thatā€™s not Boston specific but seen at many places wrt JB awards)

1 Like

Iā€™m interested in which ones you consider to serve not so great food. Iā€™ve only been to Sarma, and have many times, including getting take out when they were offering it early in the pandemic. We are big fans of Sarma in my house, and always have been.

4 Likes

Obviously I can only rely on own experience from before Covid and foodie friends with whom I still often discuss food around Boston.
Based on previous experience Mida must have made incredible improvements recently to be on that level. Same with Orfano which was quite underwhelming in my visit (but Faison is quite present on Eater, social media). Over the 5 years in Boston we were twice at Gustazo which was not a bad restaurant but I wouldnā€™t put it in the top tier when you have places like Sycamore or Giulia (to name two) around which in my opinion are much better in creativity, execution.

2 Likes

While Iā€™ve never been to an award winning restaurant that I havenā€™t liked, I can agree that not all of them are ā€œaboveā€ other places.

Does anyone know how the James Beard selections are made? Do people have to ā€œapplyā€ to be considered? Iā€™ve never really looked into that.

Theyā€™ve changed things up since Covid started. This is a decent primer https://jbf-media.s3.amazonaws.com/production/page/2021/9/13/James_Beard_Awards_Audit_Recommendations.pdf

1 Like

As meaningless as ever

1 Like

Iā€™m anon6418899 and I donā€™t approve of this list

First of all, how are you gonna include everyone in the open call? Second of all, how are you gonna rate these places and chefs from wildly different backgrounds, social statuses, cuisines, and price ranges? Third of all, the results are very predictable and shockingly lacking in ā€œdiversityā€. There are always duds on there. I looked at this DC mini chain of Sichuan places, an area where Chinese food is shockingly barren and bad. Itā€™s in the running. I asked my sister she lives there. She was like, ā€œOMG itā€™s terrible, I donā€™t know who that [owner] sleeps with to get all his accolades.ā€ I went to Yvonneā€™s to take some out of towners there, it was galling parsimonious. The first dish, we all literally thought it was an amuse bouche! But no, it was mid teens small plate! Nothing stood out to me and itā€™s sad that itā€™s in the running as one of two Asian chefs. I can think of half a dozen Asian chefs in my speed dials that deserve this kind of publicity. And thatā€™s all this is by the way, publicity. I like Tiffani Faison, but I think sheā€™s a better entrepreneur than chef. The only entry I am happy to see is Gustazo, it would have been very easy to skip them and pigeonhole them as ā€œethnicā€ but yea, itā€™s clearly one of the top tier places in Cambridge.

The food writing industry is pretty slanted, myopic, and still in 2022, not very diverse or representative of reality. I guess thatā€™s why I took up the mantle. I think there are much better ways of celebrating and marketing deserving chefs and restaurants, especially the ones that could really use it. Iā€™m just a guy with a laptop, so I do what I can.

We could do our own awards but I kinda think no one here wants to get into that.

Iā€™m not really into mandatory diversity or quotas at all, I just want something kinda fair, just. Is it too much to ask? Probably.

3 Likes

Which list? Oh, I assume NE?

1 Like

I looked at the national one too

Iā€™m fooddabbler and Iā€™m indifferent to this list.

3 Likes

Iā€™m thines, and Iā€™m happy to hear about new places, try new things, and give people a chance before I summarily dismiss them. And in these times anyone still surviving the food business deserves at least a shot.

2 Likes

I think weā€™re all happy to hear about new places. Unfortunately there isnā€™t much new on this list. The only thing anyone is dismissing is the absurdity of these awards.

1 Like

One rule I would do is if youā€™ve been nominated twice, you just automatically get an award for best chef and sit out future years. Otherwise itā€™s like the same 5 chefs crowding out everyone else

1 Like

I have heard at least three similar reports (though mostly soon after opening) from friends and neighbors, which is why we havenā€™t bothered yet despite living in the area.