2021 Veggie gardens

85 F today, but nights are usually below 50 until May. Perhaps I take the nightime lows too seriously, but that’s why I wait until May 1st to put out pepper and tomato seedlings. I know they will survive, but they don’t thrive, and waiting seems like “more bang for the buck.”

1 Like

Regarding sugar snap pea varieties; Although I’ve seen comments about toughness on Sugar Daddy reviews, for me it’s the Sugar Bons that have tough pods.

At least 1.5 - 2 months of growing season behind @shrinkrap.

Cherry tree is flourishing now.

Basil, tomatoes, are still in seedlings stage indoor.

First time I try to grow some green beans.

Arugula

The feva beans and peas. Far back are chives and garlic greens

5 Likes

Looks like our tomato seedlings are neck and neck!

I am seeing the first buds on my overwintered "Jean’s Scotch Bonnet ".

That plant must be at least three years old!

5 Likes

I planted some pumpkins outdoors today, fingers crossed on timing. They take a week or more to germinate so hopefully the first shoots will emerge just past our last frost date. Will start some kale, lettuces, carrots and a few annual herbs outdoors after that date as well.

My seedlings are not thriving this year - I think it may be the little coconut coir starter pods I used. What do you HOs use for seed starting medium?

1 Like

I use Pro Mix BX, but several Pro Mix types work well. Local garden shops or cooperatives often stock it. Run it through a sieve for small seeds.

A lot of seedlings languish or get diseased if the temperature is not right. Every plant has it’s preferences.

On a different note: the 25 foot row of shell peas came up with a total of eight plants! Four packets of Ferry Morse seed, packed for this year, were junk! I replanted with another variety, from Italy. I had heard that Ferry Morse seed was often very poor quality, but hadn’t experienced it myself; now I know, nevermore!

2 Likes

@bogman , sorry about the seeds. Hope it doesn’t set you back much. What kind of peas?
@biondanonima, I’ve used almost anything labeled set starter mix for seed starting, and promix hp for potting up when I can find it, but more and more I’m using the sponges for the Aerogarden, and “rapid rooters” in floating trays. The “rapid rooters” are made of “unique matrix of Peat moss and binders”. The replacement sponges i got for the Aerogarden may contain coconut coir.

1 Like

I use starter medium for seeding as well. I’ve used medium not for seeds In the past and the results could be less predictable. I also clean the germination tray to avoid problems. Each plant is different, some like cooler temperature for germination, some need heat, some need soaking in water overnight, some need light, some don’t need soil to cover…but looks like you have experience, maybe seeds are old or bad quality?

It has announced a big dip in temperature, hopefully no frost tonight.

I’ve taken the both of the tarragon indoors, I think the figs may suffer, but can’t do much.

Wild garlic

Edible fern

The peach tree is getting much better this year, you can still some deformed leaves,a lot less compared to last year.

New leaves on the raspberry bush

2 Likes

It looks like peach leaf curl, but I’ve not seen a peach tree with purple leaves! My flowering plum leaves are exactly that color.

Yeah, tried several methods to treat it. I’m about to tell myself to give up if it’s not improving this year. Got it because of it’s colour and dwarf variety.

I used to get it from time to time. I sprayed occasionally, and maybe it worked, but what worked better was giving my neighbor a book about taking care of his fruit trees. He ended up removing them.

What kind of peach is that?

1 Like

I found this helpful enough to share.
Potting Up Seedlings: What, Why, When & How March 14, 2019

1 Like

LOL, peach tree is problematic. Last year, when I helped watering the next door garden during the neighbour’s absence, I notice their peach tree had more fruits than mine and a few leaves with leaf curl as well.

Crimson Bonfire. Now I read more about it, actually it’s from California! :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for the link on potting up seedlings. Some of the things, I have learned the hard way.

1 Like

Some things I have to learn over and over.

1 Like

I wish to heck I could grow rhubarb- and berry trees.

1 Like

Rather I think @shrinkrap creates the paradise.

4 Likes

Some of my seedlings.

Tomatoes and peppers in an aerogarden seed starter.

Chineses seedlings started in the aerogarden and potted up to double cup.

5 Likes

Looking good, everybody! Already harvested cilantro and thyme. The oregano’s ready, too, and the cinnamon basil. And all before I even get them outside.

IMG_7230

2 Likes