2021 Veggie gardens

There are several other crocuses which have the red stigmas: C. cartwrightianus, C. pulchellus, C. chrysanthus (orange-red), C. corsicus and others. The picture above shows a very typical saffron flower, with the thin, dark purple veins. While there is an “alba”, all white form with red stigmas, it’s not as common.

If one has a lot of saffron to harvest, the method is to pick off the whole flowers and pull out the stigmas later. Otherwise, you’re constantly rechecking flowers, on the plants, which had already been harvested. When I had 200 saffron crocus, that issue came up pretty quickly!

1 Like

This is kind of exciting and has me thinking now… maybe I’ll wait to hear about your harvest first though!

1 Like

I leave all things gardening to Mr Bean so it will be up to him to figure out what’s he’s growing. Fortunately we don’t have more than 10 plants so keeping track of what’s been picked has never been a problem.

Saffron does need a cold winter, as part of its seasonal cycle. This can be supplied after flowering. Unlike some bulbs, saffron has leaves during the cold fall-winter months, so requires sunlight. It vanishes during the hot months.

1 Like

Oooh home grown cilantro is one of God’s great gifts to gardeners

Yes!

Parsley and cilantro. A bit bedraggled, but not dead or bolting.

Just home from a few days in SF and inspired to take the last of the 2021 Veggie garden pictures.

For the first time I am trying to start fava beans before planting out and it’s not working!

OTOH, it’s working where I dropped them or seeded randomly.

Here’s some collards and potatoes in a bag that keep trying.

Hoping some of these sugar snaps will make it.

2 Likes

The one spud in the bag looks pretty darn healthy. So do several other plants, especially the cilantro. It’s supposed to freeze tonight, so I’ll wait until that’s over to put in some beets, cilantro, radishes, sugar snap peas, and see if any of it comes up. my back yard is enshrouded in frostcloth, blankets, and kimguards that I got from work, they’re used to wrap sterile instruments and are really heavy, but they don’t transmit ight worth a darn.

1 Like

New 2022 thread.

Did you find one?

It says out of stock right now but I’m in a class with a guy that says they have two sizes.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)