2021 Veggie gardens

The comments in the link are almost as entertaining.

So cute!

It has been about 16-17 days since the Lemon Grass got harvested and divided. The fridge was too full to store any, so I tried an experimental windowsill storage method:
lemongrassbucket
About a half inch of water is in the bottom of the blue bucket. The white bag just keeps the stalks upright and keeps the water from evaporating. A loose, clear bag went over the tops, to slow drying out. So far, the stalks are not only keeping better than in a fridge,

They’re growing roots!

The last of the squash, Gem and Marina di Chioggia, were hauled in before frost. They’re awaiting processing and taking up serious kitchen real estate!

Fortunately, they’re all good keepers. To properly “cure” for storage and sweetness, the bulk are kept warm for a 2–3 weeks, near the wood stove, which has been running for days now.

4 Likes

I swear I would live in pants like those. Fluffy, soft and warm. I would run, garden, cook and do just about anything in them.

2 Likes

I’ve a few stalks not yet harvested, will do it tomorrow or in a few days’ time. Is it possible to grow them indoor in pot during winter?

1 Like

Those poblanos are just stunning!

1 Like

Tomatoes- against a south facing wall and covered during frost, I’ve had tomatoes overwinter. It’s probably best if they can be inside with a grow light, but given a mild winter, it can be done. Don’t expect anything in the way of fruit, however.
Most folks here start their tomatoes in February. They’re small then and can be brought in on a cold night. By the time late May rolls around it’s most often way too hot for fruit to set for a couple of months.

2 Likes

I planted saffron crocus in 4 pots and they are blooming like mad.

3 Likes

We have saffron crocus bulbs planted in our front yard. They randomly pop up all year long. These pics were taken last March though I understand they are supposed to bloom in the fall. I think I have some sprouting now after the last few warm days we’ve had.

Every so often Mr Bean will pick the stamens.

4 Likes

That’s the goal!

3 Likes

I’m sure he’s spent way more money on growing them than had we just bought some saffron in the first place but he does love a challenge.

2 Likes

Me too

2 Likes

Garlic in “gro buckets”, shallots in Gardener Supply sub irrigation planters, and second and third seeding of crimson clover and sugar snaps, which something is pulling up, eating seeds, and leaving pale, ghostly stems.

Also trying favas again. Most of my 3 or 4 year old 'Super Aguadulce" and ‘Vroma’ failed to germinate just plunked into soil as I used to do. Over the last few days I pre-soaked some ‘Robin Hood’ and am even going to start seedlings! Who’d a thunk it! I saw it on ‘Gardener’s World’.
Someone here does it. @Saregama , is that you?

In addition to 'Robin Hood " I also got 'Aprovecho" and ‘Sweet Lorane’ from Territorial.

2 Likes

Yup, was me!

1 Like

Those crocus do not look like saffron, which does bloom in the fall. There are closely-related species which look like saffron, but cannot be used. The crocus pictured appears to be C. tommasinianus, of which there are many varieties. The picture looks a lot like “Whitewell Purple”. Compare that with saffron (C. sativus). In the latter link, you can see the three-parted stigmas, which are the spice.

I’ve grown saffron for years and also worked on an estate which had spring-blooming crocus which looked just like your picture.

While saffron is often attacked, eaten by rodents, especially Voles, C. tommasinianus seems to be a lot less attractive to rodents.

1 Like

Naf, yes! That is what I do. A few small plants get potted up and the winter sun is so low, it comes in strong through the windows. Lemon Grass needs strong light to prosper.

It’s Dec. 13 and there are still living stalks in the bucket, sprouting roots and side shoots. I’ll never refrigerate Lemon Grass again!

2 Likes

Thank you for the info and pictures. I know what he “bought” was supposed to be the saffron variety but who knows what he actually received. We’ve never planted any other variety. I’ve picked and used the stamens from them in the past. I’m sure he’s going to end up ordering more. Do you have reputable source to recommend?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve moved my potted lemongrass indoor 3 weeks ago. This period of the year, it’s always overcast in my region. With not much light, I consider it doing well.

1 Like

The wrong saffron may have been shipped, especially if ordered from Van Bourgondien, who shipped me the wrong item, labeled as the correct item! The stamens have pollen and are not used in cuisine. It’s the stigmas, the part that receives the pollen, the female receptacle, which is harvested. If you are in the USA. I’ve had great luck ordering bulbs, including saffron, from Brent & Becky’s Bulbs, a family operation which has been selling bulbs for decades, and has a good reputation.

Since saffron is actively growing now (fall-winter) the corms (what folks call “bulbs”) won’t be dormant and ready to ship until spring. I’d avoid buying any saffron to plant at this time of year. They may be for sale in Jan.-Feb., for shipments as early as March. After planting, you should see nothing until late summer-fall, when the flowers and leaves emerge. The plants like strong sun, and rich, well-drained soil. They multiply quickly.

Warning!! Unlike many other species of Crocus, Saffron Crocus, C. sativus, is incredibly attractive to rabbits! I had to plant mine in underground cages (for voles) and protect the above ground parts with chicken wire (for rabbits). I’d bet gophers would nail them, too. Rodents…bah humbug!

1 Like

This is what I purchased. Four indoor pots are growing now.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the additional information. Mr Bean looked at the pictures and swears that ours did have the red “things”. I may have confused the issue when I called them stamens when he actually picked stigmas as I know nothing about plants.

Thanks also for the ordering tips. We are in the USA (New Jersey) and will hold off ordering until later.

1 Like