2020 Veggie Gardens!

They will grow back for sure. These wild growing chives all came from a handful of seeds my mom threw down in the garden years ago. They’ve since spread throughout the yard, even though we don’t even have a garden bed where they are growing anymore. It’s actually quite nice that they’re so resilient.

I do have a small batch left standing in a completely different side of the yard, so I think I’ll let that continue to grow and rebuild the stock. When I say the landscaper buried, they really buried! It’s completely beneath dirt, without any signs of where it was. I would have to dig up about 2 square feet of space to find them :sweat_smile:. I’ll just count that as a loss, and let the other patch spread.

1 Like

Wow, you must have green fingers for Chinese chives! This is my first year growing them (from some transplants) so I’m hoping next year would be better, but I haven’t had enough to make dumplings this whole year. :expressionless:

My rainbow chards are still surviving; I’ve been covering them with a plastic chair cover at night. My mom thinks they get a sweeter flavor from the cold, but I personally can’t tell.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on why my lemongrass has slowed down so much? Temperature?

Where are you again, @Saregama? My lemon grass are doing ok, but I have temporarily moved them indoors too. My poor ginger is not liking the transition, but at least my lemongrass still looks green. I suspect it will slow down too because of the temperatures.

SoCal.

My lemongrass stopped growing probably two months ago. It’s still green, though.

Wondering if I need to give it more room in a bigger pot, or it’s just seasonal. I could probably move it to the sunniest side of the house too.

That might be it. My lemongrass went from growing fast and then just stalled mid summer too. I transferred them into bigger pots and they had a big burst of growth again. At this rate, I think I’m going to have to think of moving them into the ground next season.

1 Like

Do one need to harvest the lemon grass before winter comes or will they lose the leaves? or will they survive in cold weather? I’m in zone 8a, but for the past 2 years, no snow.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips and the resources links. Yes I’m purchasing the clips these 2 weeks to avoid the out of stock in the planting season if there is another lock down. I have the other stuffs, except the magnifying lamp, which is a good idea.

From what I read online, we are fine to leave them out in the cold, but they’ll likely go dormant. I’m not sure the leaves will drop, but I imagine they may dry out or turn brown. I’m curious what will happen myself. I have a little small enclosed area (not a full porch) that I’ve brought the 3 plants into. It’s not insulated so it gets quite cold in the winters (I’m in the northeast so it will be freezing temperatures) but it will at least avoid the snow and ice that might come.

I’m trying to figure out the harvesting myself too. It has clearly separated into multiple stocks, so I hope that we can easily break one off if I need to use some. I imagine it’s easier when it’s outside as a big plant. Not sure how easily works in a smaller pot.

1 Like

I moved some of my chinenses (Scotch Bonnet “MIL Jean”, and “@bogman rocotillo”) into my new greenhouse, and hope to start some Sugar Snap peas tommorow.

I grow in containers, and often grow Sugar Daddy.
Anybody have experience with others? I’ve grown Sugar Ann before too. In addition to Sugar Daddy, I have seeds for
-Sugar Ann
-Sugar Bon
-Dwarf Grey
-Sugar Lace II

Rocotto and Aji Amarillo are still on their own, and Aji Amarillo is making new fruit and flowers.

1 Like

I haven’t planted snow peas, but snap peas should be similar. Days and inches probably different grown in the fall.

Gardening Know How-Sugar Daddy
(60 days, 24 inches. I don’t think that picture is Sugar Daddy)

Garden Know How-Dwarf Gray
Although it says 12-24 inches, it also says " They can, and often do, grow to 4 or even 5 feet (1.2 to 1.5 meters) tall."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Pea ‘Dwarf Gray Sugar’ – Tips On Caring For Dwarf Gray Sugar Peas https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/peas/caring-for-dwarf-gray-sugar-peas.htm )

Garden Know How- Sugar Ann
(56 days; 10-15 inches)

Gardening Know How-Sugar Bon
(54 days, 24 inches)

Lemongrass is tropical and requires warm temperatures to grow well. Freezing almost always kills it and cold weather can lead to rot, especially if the plant is kept too wet.

Here, it grows like crazy when the days are in the 90s F (32 C).

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye on the plant, and keep it indoors in the freezing days.

A new greenhouse! Nice! You’ll enjoy the possibilities for a long time.

Dwarf Grey Sugar pea is really better suited to harvest the tender green growing tips as salad or stir fry greens. The snow peas on that one are not that great, smaller than most, not that sweet and they get fibrous quick. The only issue with growing peas for the tips (“tendrils”) is they shrink a lot when flash stir fried.

Another trick with Dwarf Grey is to blanch the sprouts, grow them in a seedling flat kept in a completely dark place. The pale yellow shoots were very popular with the chefs at my prior workplace. Popcorn shoots are done much the same way. No sunlight needed! Get bulk seeds if you want to try this method; too expensive to use packets.

The only snow peas I’ve raised for pods and can recommend have been Mammoth Melting Sugar Pod and Oregon Giant. These can get pretty tall, however; Oregon Giant being a bit shorter at 4-5 ft. Both of these made top-quality sweet and large pods. While I grew Shiraz, a purple podded type, it’s flavor was not good and if you didn’t harvest them small, they got bitter.

1 Like

Planted garlic yesterday. Think I have WAY more than I can possibly use, esp since the other person in the house really hates garlic! Filled one raised bed, about 6 rows. Will prob be gifting garlic next spring🤣

1 Like

Thank you! I think I’m going to skip Dwarf Gray , at least this year.

@bogman and others; I’ve been lucky with the Rocotto outside for years, and the aji amarillo survived outside last year as well. I feel they are both getting too big to move, but I’d also hate to lose them. Any suggestions? I can cut it back and move it, but there are about a dozen immature peppers on it.

Maybe I’ll try draping in a frost blanket, when we are expecting to drop into the 40’s.

The nights might get into the low 40’s , but don’t usually get freeze until January or February, and they usually only last a few hours. Our lowest average lows are 39, in December and January.

I found this.

From Chili plant.com
“Capsicum baccatum can easily grow five years old. Only a few chili species can withstand light frost{: class=”chili-link”. Aji Amarillo is definitely not one of them. If the temperatures remain around 15 °C for several days, the plant no longer feels comfortable. Then it is time to bring the bush into your home.”

Here’s the greenhouse, which was finished this spring, and was too hot this summer.

It will be below 60 F for at least a week. Sooner than usual. Aji Amarillo is in the house ( green house). Hope to get the garlic and shallots shortly, but I hurt my ankle doing the peas, and I’m hobbling around on crutches. So frus. Mad props to folks to have to figure out mobility all the time.

I’ve been using these inside. The garden has been a no go.

I only need to negotiate about three steps at a time if I stay inside, but what a PITA!

3 Likes

Well @shrinkrap, here’s to a rapid recovery. It is a damn pain to lose mobility.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that, is it serious? Yeah, hope a speedy recovery and back to gardening soon!

1 Like

Thanks you guys. It’s not serious like cancer, but I’m starting to think getting “old” is! Who gets injured planting peas??? I think it might have been all the squatting.