2020 Veggie Gardens!

Not bad at all! Do they have a name? Do you know how long they will store? How much will you set aside for planting?

My leftover jalapeño plant has now decided to go crazy. I gave away a dozen last week, and today picked 10 more. These are super spicy so I’ll probably pickle most of them.

1 Like

I’ll try to find out if H knows the names. We save some for planting, share w/others for planting, gift braids to friends & have enough fresh to last til next harvest.

Thank you. Can you also let me know if they will “keep” (without sprouting or drying out) until next year this time?

In our climate they will, but we store them in the shed out back, since it’s even cooler than our unheated garage. Occasionally they dry out completely shortly before harvest, and we pick up a head or two at the store to tide us over. Can’t compare in flavor or pungency, we’re always happy for the new harvest @shrinkrap.

1 Like

That’s beautiful garlic! I envy your crop. Usually my garlic (when I even have garlic to harvest), they’ve come out with little baby heads and cloves, like what you see below.

I had a lot of random garlic sprout up, I think from previous plantings that we didn’t diligently extract or remove. Out of curiosity I did keep watering them this year, but then I noticed last week that many of them were starting to wilt and dry out. A few plants had completed fallen over; this has happened in the past and I don’t know the cause of it is. I dug them up, since there are other plans for that soil where they sprouted up. It was much more than I expected! They are all quite cute, so we’ll use them too.

I’m hoping the ones I have in the raised garden beds (still going strong) will be a lot bigger and more normal sized. Some of these baby ones are just starting to split and form mini cloves inside.

3 Likes

Well thanks @kobuta, passed your compliment on to H. I’m going to pick his brain, and write down some tips I’ll post. It may be a few days though.

You’re garlic, while small, I’m sure surpasses any you’d be able to find in a regular grocery.

Happy growing!

1 Like

Impressive but that’s a lot of garlic! What are you planning to do with them? Fresher softer flavour garlic is good for garlic soup…

Lovely plants, looks dense. I always grow them too closely and end up with diseases. But yours, the leaves look in perfect shape!

How many plants do you have in there in each pot?

Do you trim or prune your plants (getting rid of the suckers etc.)?

PS thanks for the tomato diseases post above.

Two dwarf plants per Earthbox, not TOO much in the way of fungal diseases but a lot of trouble with mites and thrips. I dont prune except sometimes bottom leaves if they yellow.

Just yesterday I was saying any fungus that can survive this dry heat probably deserves to live!

Do you treat the plants with copper sulfate?

No. Only soap insecticide, spinosad insecticide, and been oil. Maybe kelp and fish spray, if you consider that a “treatment”.

1st pic is SIL’s new crop, all braided. She always sends us a braid, and vice versa. 2nd photo is our garlic, still in the ground. We’re good Greeks, except me, but I’ve adopted the culture…

6 Likes

Not been oil, NEEM oil.

1 Like

Both the beds and the braids look so beautiful!

Wow, just gorgeous.

Thanks all for the garlic compliments. H is really liking the HO feedback. Hopefully he doesn’t start reading here! I’ll just show him relevant to him stuff during commercials in the evening. Need to keep him far away from the cookbook thread…

3 Likes

Hope that won’t give you trouble! LOL!

You know I love to live dangerously! :joy_cat::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m going to have plenty of Fresnos this summer. Me and B.Flay!

I like big butts! @kobuta. I mean Cubanelles.

Poblanos and Hungarian Hot Wax

5 Likes