2020 shut in report: the takeout thread [Boston, MA]

Hi @Pegmeister! At our house we have done some takeout in order to support two of our favorite local restaurants. One is an owner-operated cafe staffed only by the owner and an assistant (true even during normal times). The other is normally a full-service restaurant that’s gone to limited hours and limited menu, now accepting call-ahead orders only. The full-service place is directing all profits to its staff during this period.

Another part of my rationale is to help stretch out the time between necessary resupply runs to the grocery store.

And I would absolutely go for that wine delivery, if I were you. We restocked before this situation escalated, and another customer made a snide comment about panic buying. I didn’t have the heart to tell that dude that was a normal stock up for us because then we get a discount and it’s a far more efficient use of our time to have goods in the house. Also wine is in plentiful supply—it’s not as though it’s toilet paper! :rofl:

Stay safe!

6 Likes

I’m really starting to gravitate towards that wine delivery! Our regular local restaurant has switched to take out only but no delivery. I don’t believe they are doing much for their employees either. The bartender is a friend and she is anxious about the loss of income. Just hoping when this is over, they reopen and customers are generous!

3 Likes

I’ve been home over a week now, and am mostly making my own food to eat. But I’ve gotten a couple of meals by takeout and will likely continue to do so for local places I’m trying to support a bit. I also agree with @tomatotomato that some occasional takeout means going to the store somewhat less.

It’s also a bit of a treat, no doubt, given that these days my home routine doesn’t vary a lot. Getting some extra food from outside from a place I like a lot is a bright spot that I take some comfort in now that I’m mostly stuck in my apartment all day long.

5 Likes

I endorse wine delivery, as well.

I, too, have been cooking at home, along with delivery from a couple of places I want to support.

5 Likes

I’m thinking it’s probably necessary to preorder for a designated time if asking for a delivery? I’ve noticed that options like door dash and grub hub are showing delivery times at 60 - 75 minutes in our area. I wonder what people are ordering most? I think the only delivery I’ve ever had has been for Chinese or pizza. It would be nice to order from more of a fine dining type spot. It’s funny, yesterday I ordered a cheese and sausage basket from Amazon. If I figured it would be something different.

1 Like

This thread has information that you may find useful:

Pegmeister, great to hear from you!

2 Likes

Hi, I remember you!! It’s nice to have the time to get back online and see what’s going on the community!!

1 Like

Welcome back @Pegmeister! This is starting week 2 of work from home for me. I’ve only done takeout 1 night, and that’s because my niece and sister stopped by, and ended up staying for dinner. On most nights I tend to cook and I think that will still be the case. The one nice thing with work from home now is I do get more time to cook; that’s a luxury I don’t have on most week nights so have to take advantage of it.

3 Likes

Hi Kobuta. It’s so nice to hear from people I remember! I just saw a tweet from a local pub that has fabulous pizza. I can see a buffalo chicken pizza in my future. Probably should order another pizza for the freezer.

I too have been doing a lot more cooking. Plus I’ve been trying more things in the instant pot and air fryer. Had great success making pulled pork using a pork butt in the instant pot.

2 Likes

In classical Italian it is “arancino”. But in Sicily, where they are thought to have originated, you also find “arancinu” and “arancina.”

2 Likes

I haven’t done take out yet (no real reason, just haven’t) but a friend did mention that a couple of places here in Waltham have modified their menus to accommodate the change in business.

The one the comes to mind is Shoppers Cafe in Waltham. It is normally just a typical neighborhood bar (maybe better than average bar food) but they are now doing “family style” take out. I know the changes were posted on their facebook page. I thought it was a clever idea.

4 Likes

We enjoyed our takeout from Pammy’s very much last night. They have simplified their menu more in the line of red sauce comfort food. Everything was delicious and a much needed break from our home cooking. Be forewarned that the garlic knots only come with 2 per order, so the adults sacrificed those delicious morsels to the kids. French fries were delicious “McDonalds style” according to one of our family (again a double order might be appropriate). The meatballs are something I wouldn’t mind seeing on their regular menu once they re-open. Bolognese was the same, delicious rendition from their normal menu. The highlight for me was the Italian sub (big enough for 2). The meats were all tender and thin sliced and I’d buy the house hots by the jar (say yes to the crispy onions).

They seem to have a good process down for takeout. Phone order in the afternoon, pay over the phone and set a pickup time. If you drive to get the food, they will bring your food to the car. If on foot, there are several numbered stations in the bar and dining area. You go to an open station (which is distanced from any others) and someone comes to bring your order. They are sanitizing between each customer and chef Chris is the one bringing out each order made hot for the time you selected. Pammy is out front running the show. Another staff member handing off the bags was wearing a mask and gloves. They were adamant about everyone (including customers) keeping their distance. There was no cramming in here and I felt very comfortable.

We decided that for now we are much more comfortable taking out from chef owned and operated places that have had to convert to an entirely new model and seem to take it seriously; rather than places that always did take out and may just be layering on a few new precautions. Places like Pammy’s have been forced to rethink this from the ground up. They are there for their community, employees and likely their own sanity. Places like this I will support and partner with.

7 Likes

^ Yes to this.

5 Likes

The Craigie chicken has plunged in price to $45:

3 Likes

Thanks.

It would be really helpful if you posted directly here rather than trying to use this to promote a blog.

Happy to do that! Didn’t want to spam with a bunch of posts (I just started the blog to put up delivery options).

Celeste:
Always a 10—this is a must try Boston restaurant! The environment it is very unassuming, but the food speaks for itself. Added bonus: when ordering delivery, the food travels really well :slight_smile:

What we enjoyed for delivery : Mixed Seafood Ceviche and Lomo Saltado

Where to order : Toast, Postmates, Grubhub

Want to support in other ways? Here’s a link to order gift cards.

Uni:
It’s no secret that UNI’s in-person dining experience is fantastic, the same holds true for their delivery. We had an excellent meal all around!

What we enjoyed for takeout: Pork Spare Rib (worth ordering 2!), Brussel Sprouts, Chirashi, and Chiang Mai Duck Carnitas

Where to order : UberEats. For takeout orders, call 617-536-7200

If others would be helpful, lmk.

8 Likes

Under normal circumstances I’d agree, but in this particular time I’m personally happy to get any information no matter where it’s located.

2 Likes

Super helpful info, thanks @Beli

2 Likes