2019 veggie gardens

Candying peppers
The process spreads over six days, taking about 30 minutes every day

Pickled peppers. Hot, but not ruin-your-palate-hot.

2 Likes

Yum, looks good to me.

106 cloves?! You must live on acres! Or is the suggestion to plant them 6 inches a part a total lie?

Okay, wait; Iā€™m wondering if THAT came through US customs, or if that is what you grew. You donā€™t have to say.

ETA I think that was grown in Greece, and what you grew was smaller.

Iā€™ve brought garlic back from other countries, as peeled cloves as specified by US customs, perhaps specific to California. I needed something for mild, wet winters, hot dry spring and summers, and Iā€™m now growing in containers because of some soil issues.

I was trying ā€œCreoleā€ varieties, like the Aglio Rosso I brought back (from Spain I think, maybe Italy), with no more success than usual.

Iā€™m still trying.

1 Like

Will post the planting pic a little later this a.m. Weā€™re only on 1/3 acre & theyā€™re planted in a raised bed.

The large cloves pictured were grown in Utah from a garlic strain my SIL got in Greece. Donā€™t know if it was bootlegged in or cleared through customs.

Donā€™t give up on the garlic just yet @shrinkrap - will ask H if he has any tips for you. Heā€™s been growing it for about 20 years now, and his father grew it before that.

ETA She sent us 2-3 braids, 2 of which were part of her crop, but not from the more recent Greek strain. Our crop this year produced smaller cloves than usual for us, but possibly the most pungent weā€™ve ever grown.

1 Like

Guess Iā€™ve been lucky with garlic. I buy 8 or 10 at the farmers market, separate them and tuck them into a raised bed. Nothing else til the scapes come up. Didnā€™t know they could be finicky.

I donā€™t think they are, but I think they are sensitive to climates, and mine goes from too wet to too hot , too early.

Also, I try to grow hardnecks, which you generally donā€™t get at the grocery store, and I think are a bit more challenging.

Maybe Iā€™m trying too hard. I have at least three books about growing garlic!

1 Like

The garlic bed, 106 cloves planted 4-6 inches apart for the 2020 crop.

2 Likes

Nice! Throw a few in for me! Looks like garlic is just not going to happen for me this year.

Uh oh! Well I will send you some for both eating & planting.

1 Like

Thank you. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I ordered what must have been the last Creole garlic available mail order this season from this place Harvesting History in NY and they never came, nor did the company respond to my email.

ETA Just ordered some more from siskiyou seeds

Nice!! I envy your pretty (and large) beds. I have two smaller plastic beds that I started using a few years ago. The trees and its roots around my house are to problematic for in ground planting. I have about 15 bulbs planted, so will see what happens next spring.

ā€œNice!! I envy your pretty (and large) bedsā€.

Me too! Even your soil looks amazing!

My problem too. Redwoods! I always think itā€™s ironic that I built my raised beds out of them.

Scheming to add a greenhouse!

model_1700_-_image_4_1_1_1_1

1 Like

Garlic from Harvesting History came.

Thanks @kobuta, I hope your garlic crop comes along well! I know weā€™re lucky to have room for the raised beds - there are 6 of them. What you canā€™t see from the picture is the plum tree and the Concord grape vines. Already looking forward to the garden this summer.

Thanks @shrinkrap for sharing your pics! There is irony about your beds being made of redwood. Nice greenhouse too!

Our soil isnā€™t naturally good, in fact itā€™s very rocky, glacial overwash. The soil in the beds is from 18 years of composting, manure and tagro at one point. Same with our other growing areas, of which we have several.

Just canā€™t wait for spring, and planting time. Think Iā€™ll plant more flower bulbs too, a little later this winter.

1 Like

Envious!!
My custom made greenhouse is almost finished ( built August 2018) but have to remove it per County law.

1 Like

Wow, you mean they came to your property to examine?

Here in where I live, people illegally modify or construct but never get caught.