1A: Fuchsia Dunlop and Kevin Pang on Chinese Food in America

3 Likes

I just got Donlop’s new book from the library. It’s very dense!

https://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Banquet-Story-Chinese-Food/dp/0393867137/

2 Likes

Would I be missing out if I listened to the audio version? I’m listening to a sample.

I haven’t started it yet. I got a flood of books that were on hold, even though I tried to stagger delivery dates. Four at home, four more waiting at the library.

1 Like

I listened to the sample too. No versions are in stock at my local libraries so I’ll be waiting awhile. In general, I like when the author reads their book which is the case here.

1 Like

Not about the article, I wish they would take the time to have a text version of this, I hate all these long podcasts and videos, what a time waster.

3 Likes

I agree a transcript would be nice (if not about the waste of time :joy:)!

its a timewaster if you dont want to spend half an hour to get info that you could read in just a few minutes, but sure, its entertainmentand more pe rsonal for people with the time to spend or fill.

1 Like

Feeling bad about posting a non-relevant comment I had time to listen to this today in penance. This was recollections of how chinese food experienced in homes largely by chinese americans differed from American/British restaurant food and otherwise about family experiences as well as from Fuchsia the special character of Chinese food gleaned from her immersion. It was fairly random and moderatelyinfo dense IMO. Something I would have skimmed rather than read closely if it had been in print.

1 Like

I think I’m going to return the Donlop book and put a hold on it for mid-spring. There’s too much else going on.