14 Little Known Restaurants in New Jersey

I’ve been to about half of the places on the list, a few others I would like to visit. Funny thing about #2 on the list, unfortunately I had a friend who was “doing some time” at the federal prison in Fairton, NJ. Every time I would go to visit him either he, the guards or other inmates would say; “Be sure to grab a bite to eat at Jim’s while you are in the area”. I don’t know if they pay the prisoners for advertising, but they should!!! My 2 favorites would be Chef Vola’s and Sammy’s Cider Mill, neither of which have I been to in 10+ years, I think it’s time I end that dry spell.

Here’s my favorite photo from The Roadside Diner…and yes, IT WORKS!

2 Likes

I’m with you about Chef Vola’s @NotJrvedivici The problem is that if I drive all the way down there I will also have to gamble…but I guess that’s only a problem if I lose :grin:

2 Likes

By coincidence, or some humorous cosmic alignment, this showed up in my news feed this afternoon…

1 Like

I’m ducking as I type, but I have to say it here…I went to Rutt’s once. With a chef who LOVES the place, has been going his whole life, etc. I. Don’t. Get. It.

1 Like

I hear so many people say this. Still haven’t been to Rutt’s!

1 Like

What I’ve learned is that it’s as much (more?) about the emotional/historical connection that people have to the place…they went there after school dances in the 50s/60s, or the family went on Sunday after church, grandpa took you there after fishing, etc. But it’s most definitely not focused on the food, with the exception of their (bizarre, imo) carrot relish!

2 Likes