Your typical take-out order : Thai, Mexican, Pizza, you name it

Thank you :blush: We try to support as many restaurants as we can during these tough Covid times.

1 Like

You seem to have a lot of good local restaurants! How far do you drive to pick up take out?

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes, I am very fortunate, but most of these restaurants aren’t really local. I can travel anywhere from 5/10 minutes (Greek and tacos) to 45 minutes, if the food is really worth it, and it reheats nicely.

2 Likes

I’ve been transporting takeout / restaurant leftovers up to 120 miles during the pandemic!

Not a 120 mile trip for the takeout specifically , but I have been bringing restaurant leftovers, baked goods or prepared foods from one city to another! I stop at my favourite bakeries before I make the drive.

2 Likes

Enjoy your Thai. Cdc (constant dining companion) and also Conan (conan the librarian) both favor drunken noodles. I used to always get shrimp pad thai but finally broke that powerful spell the other night with masala chicken curry. The jasmine rice the curry comes with is very flavorful and freshly cooked.

2 Likes

My most recent Danish takeout meal! (It’s also the only Danish restaurant within 200 miles of my house)
Frikadeller, roast pork, roast duck, red cabbage, salad, lemon mousse, and apple cake from The Danish Place [Puslinch, Ontario]

2 Likes

Eggplant pizza and egg rolls (when in the U.S.), and anything when in Mexico.

1 Like

We rarely do takeout, and when we do it is almost always Chinese or Indian. For Chinese it is usually wonton soup, some sort of vegetables and tofu, and twice cooked pork. For Indian it is usually pakoras, chana masala, lamb rogan josh or vindaloo, and both mango and rice pudding which we mix. Naan or kulcha. Both types of food do well with takeout. A burger with a soggy bun, wilted lettuce, and warm tomatoes and pickles, accompanied by limp fries, is no fun.

2 Likes

My most recent Lebanese take-out order.

I only do take-out or dining on patios.

I’ve eaten inside a restaurant, pub or banquet space 9 times in the past 27 months (6 times in 2020, 3 times in 2021, 0 times in 2022), and I don’t enjoy it anymore.

I get take-out around once a week, and order enough so I have leftovers for lunch the next day.

5 Likes

A lot of places keep sauces or garnishes separate if the takeout burger or sandwich won’t be eaten immediately.

My pub even packages the sticky pudding sauce separately, to add at home. Same with the Hollandaise being packed separately when I get Eggs Benedict to go. Takeout packaging has gotten much better where I live.

1 Like

Tonight’s Chinese takeout was:
Tai Dop Voy
General Tso’s chicken
Seafood Lo Mein
Mixed vegetables with garlic sauce

First take-out of the New Year:

Sweet & Sour Manchurian Chicken
Hakka deluxe noodles with chicken, shrimp and beef
Mixed vegetables with black bean sauce
Steamed vegetable dumplings

1 Like

I’m trying to be good and cook more and less take out (even before becoming PT caretaker for parent).

Cantonese: dim sum (I don’t like the crowds of regular dim sum, so if I crave something I like take out)
Most other Chinese/Taiwanese: usually noodles or dumplings (not soup)
Japanese: Sushi
Korean: fried chicken :laughing:
Vietnamese: pho and roasted quail, and bahn mis when I’m actually near a store
Mexican: real Mexican-style tacos, but fancy
Indian: naan and usually saag paneer or maybe chicken tikka masala
African: sadly no African restaurants near me, so takeout is the only option (I’m not educated enough to know culinary regions of Africa but I do think most of what I’ve had is more Nigerian-ish). Jollof rice!

5 Likes

Mostly just pizza: Basil, sliced tomatoes, artichokes.
Pho: one chicken, one rare beef + brisket.
Poke: ahi only w/ almost every topping.
Chinese: orange shrimp, Moo-Shu (usually chicken), Mongolian beef. dumplings, string beans in garlic sauce, gai lan in sauce.

2 Likes

We have very few choices - mostly Italian. Pizza, lasagna, Caesar salads…that’s about it. No edible Asian food on outer Cape Cod. The closest place is 1/2 hour each way. Our local Mexican restaurant didn’t survive Covid. We live in the land of fish and chips - can’t eat them every day and they don’t travel well. So we cook for ourselves.

3 Likes

My Thai order tonight, which worked for us:
Tom Yum soup

Appetizer platter with chicken satay, fresh rolls, spring rolls, shrimp rolls, fried beggar’s purses, rangoon

Mango salad

Seafood panang

Vegetarian red curry

Coconut rice

2 Likes

There’s only one thing I takeout regularly:

Peruvian rotisserie chicken, with plantains, yucca, rice, and beans.

1 Like

My current fish & chips order, for 3 or 4:
Captain’s Platter (fish, scallops, oysters and shrimp, with fries and coleslaw)
An extra piece of fish (Halibut or Haddock)
A chowder, an extra order of coleslaw

Mary Brown’s Fried Chicken (or Popeye’s) for 3.
A 4 piece dinner combo, all dark meat. An extra 4 pieces of fried chicken, dark meat, and an extra coleslaw.

Eataly: from the refrigerated section, gnocchi and the lemon - shaved Brussels sprout -Parmesan-hazelnut salad.

We take out from Bulbap (Korean street food) usually the spicy chicken bowl & a galbi burger.

Also Taste Of Europe - usually pork chops, fish, pierogies & miseria.

We also fo chinese or pizza/sandwiches from a couple local places but nothing exceptional.

1 Like

My most recent takeout excursion.

SHAKE SHACK

• Two Double Smoke Shacks, no cheese, extra lettuce and tomatoes and no cherry pepper sauce
  • Vanilla Custard with cookie crumbles on the side.
1 Like