Your Most Iconic Food on July 4th

Love it, I have a picture of my mom breaking one of those our at a neighborhood party in the 70s. It still stands up. One of those and alcohol and I’m good.

1 Like

Smoked pork ribs, rubbed, with a mustard mop sauce. Sides do vary. This year it is a Carolina slaw and Potato Salad. Will also do a radish salad and a cucumber salad since they are in season.

2 Likes

The berries do as best they can. Round shape if a pie, or flag if a rectangular cake. If biscuits a la shortcake then any way I feel at the moment. The dessert is always a great hit as you can imagine. The nice thing is he’s never been disappointed. Thank goodness!

Happy Fourth to all…

2 Likes

Usually COTC, deviled eggs, sometimes potato salad, sometimes coleslaw. The protein varies - hamburger, pulled pork, steak tips, chicken. For dessert, something with blueberries and strawberries, although our brief local strawb season is already over. I do have blueberries and cherries, so I might try something with those.

2 Likes

What is COTC?

Sorry Ck - it’s Corn On The Cob. :slight_smile:

Cool. Thanks. Happy July 4th.

Lemonade

3 Likes

Hot dogs with a side of hot dogs, and then for dessert hot dogs and watermelon. Sorry forgot the beer!

2 Likes

Ha ha ha.

I’m with the majority here - hot dogs. Potato salad on the side, although since my husband hates the traditional American sort (cold with a mayo dressing), I usually make German potato salad (warm with bacon vinaigrette dressing). Watermelon is a must. However, he asked for pizza this year, so pizza it is! We don’t have outdoor space to grill the dogs anyway. Next year…

1 Like

Mmmm . . .German is the style I grew up with (I inherited my father’s disgust for mayo), but not with bacon vinaigrette dressing. Recipe please?

I’m going to grill some dogs till the skins burst open .Then into simple cheap hot dog buns and French’s mustard to make my sandwich. With a slice of watermelon on the side .

3 Likes

my mother’s potato salad, the red creamers are cooking as i type. she made hers with a combination of mayonaise and sour cream thinned with red wine vinegar, chopped red onion and celery seed.

of course, i’ve made a few changes: leave the skins on (pretty) sub full fat greek yogurt for sour cream. shallots for the onions and add some sliced scallions (for color contrast. but, i always add the celery seed.

my sister just found a deli in savannah that makes what they called baked potato salad along the lines of my mother’s, but they add bacon. i’ve got a couple of vegertarians for the 4th, but i’m going to set some aside for myself, with bacon.

Sure! I don’t actually think the recipe comes from Germany, as I’ve never encountered my recipe there - I just call it German potato salad because the friend who first introduced me to the recipe called it that!

Anyway, I usually use 1 pound of bacon to 2-3 lbs of potatoes, and the rest is by taste. Basically, you boil or steam red potatoes (with the skins on) until cooked through. Meanwhile, cut your bacon (I like thick-cut bacon but you can use anything) into 1" pieces and cook it until it’s pretty crispy. Remove it from the fat and then cook a couple of sliced red onions in the fat until they are very soft and browned. Then add apple cider vinegar (maybe 1/2-3/4 c.?) and brown sugar (maybe 2T?). This really depends on your taste and how tangy/sweet you like your potato salad. If your bacon wasn’t fatty enough, you might also want to add some additional oil (or bacon fat, if you have it). Combine the bacon, potatoes and dressing with a few chopped scallions (or some parsley, just something green to add a little freshness) and toss it all together, then taste, taste taste! Add more vinegar, sugar, salt and/or pepper to get it just where you want it. Personally, I don’t like it too sweet, but you should definitely be able to tell that there is a little brown sugar in there softening the edge of the vinegar. Serve it warm or at room temp. Every time I make this for a potluck or picnic, people descend upon it in hordes and ignore all other potato salads until it’s gone!

2 Likes

Watermelon
Potato salad- somehow on the 4th is when i have my annual serving, then i’m good til the next year
Grilled corn

1 Like

Technically you didn’t forget the beer, if the hot dogs and the side of hot dogs are simmered in the beer. :smiley:

I was hoping someone would mention this flag dessert! It is my favorite 4th of July dessert “almost” every year. This year, someone else is bringing the dessert, and she makes the best cheesecake on the planet, so I will suffer through not having my flag cake. Oh… but that cheesecake… I’m ready.

1 Like

We do/did too. Apparently we are not having it this year because my Mom felt that people didn’t appreciate it enough last year. We are all shocked we won’t have it this year - had she told someone one of us would have made it.

Glad we aren’t the only ones who make it.

I wonder if there is an official July 4th alcohol? Budweiser?