Yay! Pomegranate season is back!!!!

I bought the Can Can brand, which I think is Turkish. I read somewhere that these are commercial grade and are used by juice vendors in that region. These are heavy duty machines, which is great for pomegranate since you do need a fair bit of force to squeeze the fruit cleanly for maximum extraction. When I was doing the juicing using one of the old fashion methods, juicing 1 pomegranate was chore that could take up to an hour. This allows you to extract juice from a whole box in the same mount of time.

EDIT: Itā€™s this one!

1 Like

For those in Massachusetts, Market Basket now has its fresh-crop pomegranates from California.

At the suburban MBs I have shopped, pomegranates are in a giant white cardboard box in an aisle of the produce department. Usually available for a few weeks this time of year.

4 Likes

Curious if youā€™re seeing the pomegranates hit by the inflation bus too at MB. I was at Stop & Shop today and noticed they have them too; they were ā€œon saleā€ for over $3 a piece. :roll_eyes:

I found them at Costco last weekend and picked up two boxes for myself. Pricier than last year, but better than that S&S sale price.

1 Like

Yesterday I paid $2.99 for a large, heavy pomegranate at MB. Though I canā€™t remember last yearā€™s price, the cost seems higher. Stupid inflation bus seems to be hitting everything.

We get good mileage out of a large fruit like that though. The arils add color and flavor to several dishes until theyā€™re used up: salads, roast squash, or small plates. And even a splash of juice collected from fruit disassembly goes into fizzy water.

5 Likes

I was just about to ask you from your post a couple of days ago if you remembered the cost. I remember several years ago getting them for about $1.50 each. But the trucking supply chain is probably one reason for the increase in cost.

2 Likes

From Granada or Valencia: Granadas = Pomegranates ā€¦

We pay between ā‚¬ 2.00 and ā‚¬ 3.00 for a kilo depending where we buy them and where they are from.

Earlier, I deseeded 2 very large, juicy pomegranates purchased from the local Acme market. $5.00 for both. I think we got our dollars worth.

6 Likes

Unless Iā€™m calculating incorrectly, you definitely get better prices then we do in the New England area of the U.S. Thatā€™s about $2.50 for 2.25 lbs. in the U.S. Although I guess it depends on how heavy the individual fruit is that you buy here. As @tomatotomato mentioned, theyā€™re individually priced, no matter the weight. So you could spend $2.99 USD for one that was about 3/4 lb. or the same price for one that might weigh 1-1/4 lbs.

But itā€™s New Englandā€¦poms donā€™t grow here. So no matter what - we have to pay for those shipping costs.

2 Likes

I believe 1 Pomegrante here is approx 450 grams to 500 grams per fruit ā€¦ However, only the seeds are utilised. So, it is alot of exterior ā€¦ i will weigh them - the next time I purchase ā€¦ i like in salads ā€¦

We are growers ā€¦ Granada is renowned for their pomegranates (granadas in Spanish) ! The Valencian and also Murcia, are growers too. And other southern Andalusian provinces too ā€¦

New England ( I was in Boston and Cape Cod) but it was summer ā€¦ Humid ā€¦
is very frosty and cold ā€¦

"Where the grapes grow, the pomegranates grow too " !

Wow ā€¦ Well I can say, that the fruits here are more or less uniform in size and weight.

3 Likes

I shall be heading over to the Mercat (market) today and checking out the Pomegranates. I go to the same ā€œfruteriaā€ kiosk so I shall ask the gent to please weigh up each separately ! He shall ask me why !

I shall tell him, Hungry Onion is a food forum that I frequent and we are having a conversation about Pomegranates ā€¦ Spanish verses the differences in the E.E.U.U. (Usa).

He will go into a whole historical and cultural explanation about this fruit too !

Ok, shall report on the average weight of our pomegranates !!!

Have a nice day.

3 Likes

Today, ecological pomegranates were 3.95 ā‚¬uros per kilo ā€¦

And they were in the range of 450 grams per pomegranate.

So, a field green and red violet leaf salad and Pomegranate seeds and Sicilian Green Evoo and Balsamic Vinegar from Modena. Simple and lovely. No fuss !

Debating with myself about sprinkling the seeds on a bed of Scottish smoked wild salmon ā€¦ and field greens surrounding the Scottish Salmon slices ā€¦

I shall see.

1 Like

^ This. How I love the combination of pomegranate seeds sprinkled on a salad dressed with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and flaky sea salt.

1 Like

Us too. ā€œKissā€ = ā€œKeeping it simply simpleā€ ā€¦

The level of the ingredients are truly bespoken.

An excellent Evoo and a magnificant Balsamic Modena oak aged Vinegar and the field greens and / or lettuces of choice and some pomegranate seeds ā€¦ and a sprinkle of Basque sea salt ! And all set !

1 Like

These looks interesting.

4 Likes

This is different.

This was mentioned in the Slavic thread.

https://www.azurestandard.com/healthy-living/recipes/russian-layered-potato-salad-pomegranates/
Some versions involve a chicken salad.

As a kid, I loved to eat my way through a sectioned pomegranate. So, I bought some recently, thinking picky Spring Onion might like them, too (he LOVES berries). I gave them to him just now and he said, ā€œat first, itā€™s good but then the flavor goes away quickly and then itā€™s crunchy.ā€ But then I had to take the bowl away from him because he stopped eating his dinner in favor of the pomegranate. Makes me happy though - theyā€™re so good and healthy. And heā€™s willing to try things, which is best of all.

5 Likes

$3.49/each at Wegmans, but theyā€™re perfectly ripe, heavy, red & luscious. Plus one lasts several days for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll link this old thread about Turkish pomegranate tea here.

1 Like